wifi question

daisy2bell 08:28 26 Nov 05

Have recently installed wifi. The main PC and backup PC are conected with a cable to the modem/router,(Netgear) and the laptop is conected with a usb wifi (Netgear). Being on aol, I have to sign on when going online and sign off when going offline.

When doing normal computer work is there a security issiue if I leave my modem/router on

Thanks

mgmcc 15:52 26 Nov 05

You should take the normal precautions when using a "wireless" network - enable WEP or WPA encryption and also MAC address filtering.

daisy2bell 16:39 26 Nov 05

Thanks. I've got WEP enabled, and will look into MAC. I take it that MAC would have to be done on the router itself?

mgmcc 20:37 26 Nov 05

Yes, every network adapter, whether wireless or not, has a unique MAC (Media Access Control) address - twelve hexadecimal characters in six groups of two. Wireless routers normally have the facility to restrict access to only those WiFi adapters whose MAC address has been entered.

To find the MAC address of the wireless adapter installed in your PC, open the Network Connections folder, double click the Wireless Network Connection, select the Support tab and click the Details buton. The entry for "Physical Address" is the adapters MAC address.

daisy2bell 21:54 26 Nov 05

Thanks for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…