WiFi Printers - cause problems when not switched on during a session?

RISC OS user 12:06 27 Oct 12

I am thinking of purchasing a WiFi printer, but have read or heard that they can cause problems if they are not left switched on, even when not required during that session, as they slow down the connection to the internet as the PC will be looking for a printer which at the time is not available. Is this correct?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:30 27 Oct 12

PC won't look for it until you select the print option of whatever program you are using.

Then some of the network bandwidth is used which is then unavailable for internet use.

I.E. slight possibility of internet slow down when transferring a file to the printer

however I doubt you would even notice it unless simultaneously downloading a large file / printing a large document

Nontek 16:25 27 Oct 12

Go ahead with your purchase, Wireless printers are great. I use a Epson PX730WD. I have no problems with Internet speed etc.

northumbria61 11:22 29 Oct 12

I agree with Nontek I have a Wireless Colour Laser which I normally never switch off but that's more for convenience than anything else and no problems with Internet speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…