Wifi network help

robinspain 12:04 28 Feb 09

HI
Hope someone can help me here.. We have computers upstairs and downstairs and at the moment all the routers etc are downstairs and we have a wifi card upstairs but this is not very reliable.
I have a normal router/modem, wifi router/modem and also a wifi router.
As i have a phone socket upstairs can i do the following..

Downstairs, connect using the normal modem/ rouetr and wifi router to give me coverage downstairs.

Upstairs, using the phone socket in my bedroom, connect the wifi router/modem thus giving me coverage upstairs.

I have read conflicting reports saying you can not have two routers connected to one phone line at once,other saying you can..
Anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks in advance
Rob

Strawballs 12:16 28 Feb 09

All you will need is 1 wireless modem router upstars to service the whole house that is all I have (except mine is seperate cable modem and router wireless)the machine next to the router is connected by wire and all the rest wireless.

robinspain 16:03 28 Feb 09

Thanks for your response but what you suggest is what i already have, just my router is downstairs.
im thinking that if i plub my spare wifi router into the phone socket in my bedroom i will then create another wifi zone upstairs which will work better...
Thanks

Tech Guy 18:16 28 Feb 09

As Strawballs states only 1 wireless router is needed to service to whole house.

The only way to create another "wifi zone" upstairs is have a second phone line with a second BB account.

You simply can't connnect another router to the same line to get another "wifi zone".

If you are getting poor signal upsatirs, you could upgrade to "N", for greater speed and coverage.

robinspain 09:36 01 Mar 09

HI
Thanks for the replies, The house is quite large, the floors and walls are thick poured concrete (No im not in prison....)and this makes it diffiuclt to get a good wifi signal round the house.I am on a G plus mimo router anyway and i dont want to buy more routers. it was only because i had all the gear i thought it may be possible but i guess not..

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…