WIFI - Monitoring packets without Network Card

simmo07 10:33 21 Aug 07

I have my wireless router downstairs and im connecting from my pc by WIFI Adapter (not network card). i do believe you can run the network card in dual modes (for monitoring or access).

Is it possible for me to somehow put the WIFI adapter in monitor mode?

Im using Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless Mode G USB Network Adapter, i dont think it is possible its just im certain someone has been using my Bandwith

Cheers

martjc 10:53 21 Aug 07

...You may need to look at the security settings on your wifi and if necessary change password. That will stop anyone encroaching on your bw. The stronger the encryption the better.

simmo07 12:29 21 Aug 07

Yes it is now WEP enabled, i assumed the router password would block access. i think i might buy a network card from ebay now im interested in viewing packets recieved in my area and also if any of my details are getting used (such as my email) from these packets.

I found ethereal which looks good but i can only get packets from my router/network.

is that what a network card would be for to monitor other peoples packets?

its interesting,

Cheers

simmo07 12:32 21 Aug 07

and is it legal to view others packets? dont want to break any laws, i want to see if someone has been using my bandwith if they have obtained any sensitive information like account details etc for peace of mind if anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac