wifi internet question

daisy2bell 08:42 14 Dec 05

My Laptop is on wifi, and I have to sign on to aol in order to conect to the internet.
What confuses me is that when I turn on my Laptop, and before I log on to aol, I get the AVG screen downloading and installing updates.
Why is this happening when I need to sign on to aol to access the net.
This also happens on the main 2 PC's which are conected to the modem/router via cable?

mgmcc 11:28 14 Dec 05

If you are using a router, it is the *router*, and not a networked PC, which establishes the internet connection with the ISP. Therefore, if the router is online, then as soon as the PC has booted it will automatically have internet access and applications will be able to run their automatic updates.

I am not familiar with AOL, but presumably there is then a separate "Login" with an AOL screen-name in order to be able to access AOL's online content, as distinct from having basic access to the internet generally.

Jazzy James 14:10 14 Dec 05

what mgmcc says may be true but...
I also find that AVG appears to download and install updates even when I haven't yet got online.

To be sure of the updates, try running them again once you are online.

daisy2bell 15:13 14 Dec 05

Thanks, that's cleared that one up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…