Wifi : Integrated/Ext PCMCIA card?

Bobly 21:36 26 May 06

I have just purchased a Alienware m5500 which has the integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 wifi connection card.
I was wandering, is this one particularly good or can I get better wifi connection (especially range) from a PCMCIA card? And if yes, which?

Bobly

ade.h 22:24 26 May 06

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with an internal Intel WLAN adapter. Either in its performance or its functionality.

Bobly 23:03 26 May 06

I never said there was something wrong with internal wifi, I was just asking if I could get better range from a PCMCIA card, and if yes, which ones were best?

ade.h 23:22 26 May 06

I thought I'd made my point. You honestly won't benefit from a PCMCIA card and it is inevitably less hassle-free to install and use.

Bobly 23:39 26 May 06

I don't mean to be rude or discredit what you're saying, but having looked at some PCMCIA Wifi cards, it seems that some are more powerful than others, particularly ones with higher energy consumption (200mw). But if you say the result won't be much better than an internal wifi, I won't insist.
Thanks.
Bobly

ed-0 00:00 27 May 06

IMHO I agree with ade.h. I use all 3 types, usb dongles, PCMCIA card and built in WiFi on a selection of laptops and desktops.

They all seem to perform exceptionally well. Certainly the range of built in WiFi is as good as a belkin PCMCIA card, we use.

woodchip 00:09 27 May 06

See hear click here=

ed-0 12:26 27 May 06

Thats a real bummer, bet the warranty has expired:-(

it looks as if you need a new laptop motherboard and as some of your forum friends have pointed out, that is going to be expensive. I have never used a medion so don't really know what they are like. I prefer my HP's and acers. With the HP's changing ram and the hard drive is as easy as any other. But with these you can change the cpu fan, the cpu and if you can get a replacement, the motherboard.

This is sometimes what you pay for the privilege of the portability of laptops, if something like that goes, you're just about cream crackered. On a desktop you can swap the board over for a few quid.

As to integrated WiFi, if it goes, it goes. If ever happened on any of my laptops I would plumb for pcmcia card. They do have a very good range and although the usb dongles are just as good, you don't have the wires lying around.

Hope you get some good news about the laptop.

woodchip 15:36 27 May 06

bet the warranty has expired YES

But had some success, I have got all working except PCMCIA is it possible does anybody sell one that will connect into USB 2

ed-0 15:47 27 May 06

Do you mean the pcmcia card is not working or the port is not working?

If the port, check the bios for being enabled.

If the just the card, this sort you looking for ? click here

Good news about the lappy firing up:-)

woodchip 15:58 27 May 06

The port shows and drivers loded, showing OK in Divice Manager. But it does not recognise ADSL card or a Firewire Card The Bios as limited features as it's desgined for medion So it's a no go go on the Slot. I reloded From the REstore CD as IMage worked but left it as the items I put before was still with yellow icons in DV manager

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…