wifi - how does it work?

lorna6am 13:08 29 Aug 05

I haven't got a clue about all things technical, and would be grateful of some help.

I am about to purchase a laptop, mostly for using word and excel. But I am going off on business for 3 weeks and will also need to use the internet.
I understand that modern laptops are usually Wifi enabled, and that all one has to do is go to a wifi 'hotspot' like a restaurant or hotel, and gain internet access wirelessly.

What I don't understand is how I get charged for this service (if at all). I have AOL broadband at home, and wondered if I just log onto AOL (wirlessly) when out and about, and therefore do not get billed any extra; or does the particular Wifi provider charge by the minute? Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance

Diodorus Siculus 13:49 29 Aug 05

[quote]how I get charged for this service[/quote]

The connection will likely need a key with which you can logon; you will probably have to pay for this key.

There are some free hotspots around though.

click here

wjrt 23:16 30 Aug 05

click here

seems expensive

wjrt 23:22 30 Aug 05

link not working

click here

fingers crossed

lorna6am 18:12 01 Sep 05

Thanks for the help. I understand it a bit better...should've figured it would be expensive.

Gaz 25 18:49 01 Sep 05

It's all a rip really. I mean it never costs them that much money for a 512k ADSL line. :-( *shakes head*

Silly. Mind you, thats the UK for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…