wifi how do i make my laptop work with it??

Ruth1984 14:00 12 Sep 07

hello can anybody help me!!

I have been given a laptop at work that isn't wireless enabled.

I need to take the laptop to Malta with me and i have been told they have WIFI in all the hotel rooms.

If i bought and installed a WIFI wireless 11g USB adapter would this work????

Thanks
Ruth

Quiller. 14:06 12 Sep 07

Yes.

Or if the laptop has a pcmcia card slot, you could use that.

Do you know the make and model of the laptop and which usb adapter you are thinking of?

Ruth1984 14:18 12 Sep 07

thankyou very much for getting back to me so quickly !!!!!

mmmmm now imagine a complete thicko with computers and you have me !! so whatever a pcmcia cardslot is i don't know !!

the computer is a samsung electronics SEC ...
inter(R)pentium (R) 4CPU 2.40GHz, ".39GHz, 760MB of Ram ... (this is what info it has on the side lol)

and the USB thingy .... the only info it gives me on the site is Wifi wireless 11g USB adapter Vista Compatible.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again
Ruth x

Quiller. 14:43 12 Sep 07

if we had the model of the laptop we could have said if it has a slot to take a pcmcia card. these cards nearly fit flush with the machine and can be unobtrusive. but it doesn't matter as the usb wifi adapter ( dongle ) will do the job. click here

Are you running Vista on the laptop? If you are make sure that the wifi dongle has the correct drivers for Vista. If you are using XP then all the dongles will have the drivers for it.

They are easy to install.

pop the cdrom into the drive and stop the installation. insert the dongle into the usb slot. Let windows find the drivers on the cdrom and away you go.

Ruth1984 14:50 12 Sep 07

no i'm not running vista on my computer i don't even know what that is !! i think i am pretty much sorted now thankyou very very much for all your help x x

and i'm not surprised you don't have the laptop it's a bit of a dinosoar lol x x

thanks again
Ruth xx

Arnie 15:21 12 Sep 07

"I need to take the laptop to Malta with me".

If this is your first visit to Malta, watch out for the timeshare scam merchants.
Their usual ploy is to offer you a piece of jewellery or a bottle of wine, to spend an hour or so at one of their hotel presentations.
These people will pressurise you to buy a very expensive holiday timeshare.

Otherwise have a nice holiday. The Maltese are very friendly, mostly English speaking people and the crime rate is very low.

Arnie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…