Wifi Hotspots Etc

SURVEY 13:55 17 Mar 08

I recently purchased a new Dell laptop that comes with a built-in wireless card.

1. What is the procedure for conecting to the internet at hotspots? Do I just click on the wireless icon which brings up Wireless Networks within range, find one that doesn't have a padlock security symbol, right click and connect?

2. Starbucks provide the facility to connect at their coffee shops. I have their 'Hotspot' brochure but I cannot make this work The brochure states that one needs to confirm the SSID settings. At Network Connections one has to highlight and right click on ones Wireless Network Connection and then choose 'Properties'. Then Highlight the 'Wireless Networks tab. This tab is missing on my laptop - I only have 'General' and 'Advanced'.

Can anyone assist me?

BurrWalnut 14:27 17 Mar 08

XP or Vista?

XP
Right-click the wireless network icon in the system tray and then click View Available Wireless Networks. Click the network name you want to connect to and click Connect (bottom right). Now type your WEP/WPA key and click Connect. After you're connected, you can close the Wireless Network Connection window.

VISTA
Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a Connection or Network (in the left pane) > Manually Connect > Next. Now type in the Network Name (SSID), select Security Type and type in the WEP/WPA key.

SURVEY 14:36 17 Mar 08

BurrWalnut - I should have said that I am on XP. Your response I assume is related to my Item 1 and therefore I understand. Thanks.

With regrad to Item 2, I presumably must be in Starbucks to find the Network? I did sit just outside the cafe but could get no available Wireless Network. Also Starbucks insisist that Data Encryption is NOT enabled so WEP should be kept clear.

BurrWalnut 14:44 17 Mar 08

You sat outside the cafe, perhaps they have an intentionally weak signal that makes one go in, buy a coffee (at least) and then connect.

SURVEY 14:51 17 Mar 08

True!! Has anyone experience of Starbucks Network?

JM45 10:03 18 Mar 08

You have to buy a period of time and enter the code to connect, anyway that's the procedure here in Thailand.

tullie 15:58 18 Mar 08

Survey wouldent have to type in SSID,or select any security type would he if its a free Hotspot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…