Wifi Help Please!!!! (ARRRRGGGGGH!!!!)

Wirral Bagpuss 23:32 14 Jul 04

I finally took the plunge and decided to get some wifi kit and start networking my desktop and laptop PC. I have got Linsys notebook computer adapter card and a USB wifi connection box for my desktop.
So far i have managed to get both laptop and computer to recognsie that wifi is available on both. I have also confguired Norton firewall to accept the signals etc.
However i cannot get going on the fun bit which is to share files etc, i have run the network wizard and have congfigured a network group. However when i come to view my network places it says my Home network which is what i have named as my network is not available, contact system admin. ARRRRGH!!
Can someone please advise me on how to overcome my problems as i am pulling my hair out over this!!

TomJerry 23:42 14 Jul 04

(1) Disable Firwall when you do network set up wizard. You can run it again. Once you set everything up, you can put firwall back.

(2) When you run network set up wizard, it is better to give network "Workgroup", not anything else. Do not know why, but it works for me and other people.

(3) To share files, you need to give premmision. Right click the directory you want to share and set to let network to share it.

Wirral Bagpuss 03:18 15 Jul 04

Well the problem is this, i know that the laptop and desktop can see each other, but when i click on my network places it comes up with a message:
Network (the name i gave to my group) is not accessiable. You do not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available.

Anyone got any udeas on how to resolve this?

TomJerry 08:56 15 Jul 04

?

Brian-336451 09:15 15 Jul 04

The expression ARRRRRGGGGG!!! etc is most familiar to me with regard to setting up WiFi networking in my house too.

What I ended up doing was (as suggested above) disable Norton (sorry Peter Norton, whilst your programs are good, they also cause SO many problems when we try to set stuff up).

I then accepted all the defaults ie naming the network MSHOME etc.

This at least got it up and running.

I then did an internet (Google - what else?) search for WiFi Network set up and there is loads of stuff, worth a read. I'm not going to trot it all out.

Oddly enough what caused me the most problems was that my wife's laptop has a WiFi ON/OFF button which I had forgotten about, major bummer.

The lack of file sharing I think will be traceable to Norton, and if you follow the advice given above (by the other respondent) THEN set the networking up you might have more success.

Good luck.

Satmansq 09:39 15 Jul 04

Add to my threads for similar problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…