WiFi to Dial Up telephne connection

Petersbox 12:18 14 Nov 07

Comet tell me that I can only use WiFi if I am on broadband. Is this correct?

ambra4 14:12 14 Nov 07

Not ready just broadband will make connecting an your live a lot easily

A wireless router cannot dial an ISP you will need to dial up from a difference computer once it is connected, you can then access the Internet via that computer via the wireless system

Configuring a wireless network system via a dial up network, you need to have some experience in setting up networks

You would also find that it is very slow at most times

In the old days before broadband and wireless dial up via a modem was the in thing

Technotiger 14:26 14 Nov 07

If you are talking about a laptop - you can use wifi at any wifi hotspot, some hotspots are free to use, others need payment. But they are how you get onto the internet with a wifi enabled laptop.

Petersbox 17:37 14 Nov 07

So if the second PC is say a wireless labtop, what exta equipment do I need to plug into the telephone socket?

paul€ 17:59 14 Nov 07
  woodchip 18:27 14 Nov 07

Yes WiFi only works with Broad Band, but you may have a built in Dial-Up modem built into the same computer that connects to a normal phone line. But you still need to pay a Server to use it. It only works without a server as a Fax machine.

There is no such thing as Wireless Dial-Up only cell phone

Dipso 21:15 14 Nov 07

Interesting links paul£.

Medion sold a wireless router that had a broadband modem and dial up modem built in but this was some time ago, this would possibly have done what you want but they are no longer available, it seems these are few and far between.

I am Spartacus 21:32 14 Nov 07

I had a wireless network when I was on dial up. PCI card in the desktop, PCMCIA card in the laptop. Connected to the internet from the desktop with the standard dial up wired connection then setup Internet Connection Sharing to the laptop.

woodchip 21:47 14 Nov 07

This what you are looking for. click here

Dipso 22:00 14 Nov 07

See paul3's post.

Petersbox 11:55 15 Nov 07

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply to my query.
I am most grateful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…