wifi connects with wrong WPA key

iqs 15:38 25 Nov 10

Hi,

My friend has a laptop running XP,with an Intel WI-FI card .

The laptop is using XP to control and connect to all wifi connections.No third party software is installed.

In the past the wifi has detected the free wifi connection and connected.

Last week they changed the WPA key,and now when the laptop detects the SSID,and connect is pressed,it fails to connect because it is still using the original key.

The box that should appear asking for the WPA key to be entered twice,does not.
A message appears stating the laptop is too far away etc etc.This is not the case.He is sat by the bar only 5 feet away from the router

I have checked all settings,everything is as it should be.
The laptop connects using the correct procedure to my network and my neighbours.

I have uninstantiated the wifi drivers,removed and refitted the PCI wifi card,everything is working correctly.

No body-else is having problems connecting their mobile devices using the new WPA key,my Iphone detected the new WPA key and requested the new one.

I have checked everything I can,I cant see any problems with the settings/software & hardware.
Like I said it connects to my network and others.

Can you help please???

Thanks

T0SH 16:10 25 Nov 10

There is a setting in the properties of the wireless network card where you can view all the wireless connections that you have recently connected to, in this window you can delete all the stored networks this will clear out any stored encryption keys so on the next connection attempt you should get the prompt to input the new key

Cheers HC

iqs 16:51 25 Nov 10

Hi TOSH,

Thanks for the advice.I will go through the settings again,cheers

iqs 17:56 28 Nov 10

Hi,

Finally had a look at the settings.The only option shown was to delete or move up/down the wifi networks.
I deleted all,and tried to connect again.The laptop still connected with the wrong WPA key.
I'm at a loss.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…