WiFi Connection Speed

woodchip 23:28 22 Sep 08

WiFi Connection Speed, My Laptop a HP510 as a Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG but the speed of download is only about 2600kbps on a 8Meg connection, If I disable this and fit a USB Dongle or use a MPCIA card that connects the speed is double that of the Intel.

Why is this and could I do anything about it. On my Desktop I get anything round 6000kbps or higher. on the Intel it only goes to the above about 2600. upload is slightly faster than desktop.

Any Ideas

woodchip 23:34 22 Sep 08

Download 2510 kbps

upload 375 kbps

ambra4 05:02 23 Sep 08

Take a read in the “Known Issues and Solutions” section and check the driver version

click here

woodchip 10:38 23 Sep 08

Thanks for the Link I will save that when I open it on my Laptop. I downloaded Latest Driver and Software but it does not say anything about speed problems

chub_tor 10:54 23 Sep 08

On that link that ambra4 supplied about half way down there is a reference to Intel Throughput Enhancement that is Disabled by default click here perhaps enabling it might help your download speed.

woodchip 14:42 23 Sep 08

Speeded up just a bit, to 2750kbps upload 375kbps

Why wont it work 15:07 23 Sep 08

I think it can depend upon your router, perhaps certain adapters don't particularly like certain routers.

For example my laptop (which has an intel 3945abg) will only connect to my Belkin N1 Vision at an infuriating 5mbps (despite driver updates, fiddling with router etc etc). All my other wireless devices in the house connect at a full 54mbps, whilst my laptop connects to all other routers I have tried at 54mbps! It is most annoying, seriously slows down the internet connection (24mbps) to my lappy.

Perhaps your the adapter in your laptop just hates your router like mine?

woodchip 15:17 23 Sep 08

You could be right mine is a 3Com think that one of the Belkins is same innards as mine. just dressed up in another case

woodchip 21:42 23 Sep 08

Not Resolved but don't think there is a solution to this one. As I think its the Intel WiFi thats the Problem. As it works full Speed with a PCMCIA card or a USB Dongle. I can get my Desktop speed with the above. So will leave it as it is as it is fast enough for Updates etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5