wifi connection problem

prester-john 12:11 28 Dec 10

Just recently got a new router (802.11n) to replace an old one (802.11g). OS is Windows XP. Mostly OK, but drops connection rather too often ("Problem with Wireless USB Adapter"). Also, oddly, download speeds are now sometimes faster than upload.
Anyway, it must be time to replace the old wireless adapter (-g), with a new -n one.
Correct? Suggestions? And with prices from around £10 to £40, are the expensive ones really worth the extra? I doubt it.

onthelimit 12:18 28 Dec 10

They always will be - my download is usually 15 times that of the upload

961 12:58 28 Dec 10

Forgive me for being dim, but are you talking about dropped connection between the router and the internet and your ISP or the router and the laptop/desktop etc?

If the latter, although you don't specify the make of your new router it can often be the case that using the same make of usb adapter makes sense. However...

As to price you often find folk like Dabs sell their own brand for a fraction of the price, for example

click here

and it's well worth a try. Like many on line retailers they are usually good at taking stuff back if it doesn't do the job for you so long as you're careful to preserve all the packaging etc.

As you say, the branded stuff is very much dearer

prester-john 14:00 28 Dec 10

Oops! Thanks for correction, Onthelimit, that's what I meant to say! In fact, Upload speed is sometimes three times faster than Download.

961: Pop-up message says "Wireless USB Adapter Client Card Configuration Utility has encountered a problem", so I imagine it's between router and desktop.
Router (new) is Edimax.
Your "click here" looks good, so I'll probably follow it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 28 Dec 10

This usually happens because everyone uses the default channel in the router.

Try changing channel in the router it may be your neighbours are using the same channel and so causing interference and drop outs.

prester-john 10:35 29 Dec 10

Fruit Bat: I think there's some incompatibility in the 'old' adapter anyway (pop-up message seems to suggest so), and I intend to get one that works with -n. Once I've done that, I'll follow through your suggestion. It looks worth checking.

Thanks to one and all. 'Bye.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…