Wifi connection is dropping

Zeiphion 17:00 27 Dec 14

Hi all

I have returned home after the holidays to a random networking problem.

My brand new pc less than two weeks old keeps dropping its wifi connection after a couple of minutes.

First port of call reset the router and the network adaptor, made no difference same problem. Second attempt follow the windows 8.1 threads discussing exactly this issue (though the pc has been fine for two weeks and I have added no new software to it) flushed my DNS and set it to the Google public ones by default - no help, and turned off all power saving options on my network adapter.

Now thinking that my issue must be with the network adaptor in the pc I installed my usb wifi dongle to my pc. Worked like a dream for about 20 minutes then exactly the same issue again.

Last thing I could guess at was avg causing some sort of problem so I completely uninstalled it but as you can guess it didn't help.

I am now in a situation where the pc has lost all Internet connection. Every 10 minutes or so the wifi connection will pop back up but as soon as I do anything that puts load on the connection like trying to go to google the connection instantly drops, but only on this device. The iPad i post from here, and my laptop using the same sub dongle that is having the issues on the pc are operating on the network fine.

I am at a dead end of what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

BillSers 04:24 28 Dec 14

This is worth a try and only takes minutes:

Repair the Windows 8/7/Vista TCP/IP Stack

If you’ve tried everything you can think of to cure an Internet connection problem without success, it could well mean that Windows TCP/IP parameters have become corrupt. This often happens when a virus has been removed from your system but left behind some damage. It can also happen when you remove security software such as a firewall, which is deeply integrated with the Windows networking system.

To fix the problem you need to reset the Windows networking stack. Fortunately Windows 8/7/Vista comes with a built-in tool you can use to do this:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator. Windows 8 users press [Windows Key] + [X] and select Command Prompt (Admin).
At the command prompt type: netsh winsock reset catalog and press [Enter].
Next type: netsh int ip reset reset.log and press [Enter].
Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:49 05 Jan 15

click here winsock fix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant