wifi + broad band connection?

alan2206 18:55 31 Mar 04

For some time now i have been considering upgrading from standarn dialup to broadband, namely 512kb/s. In my house there is three pcs.
These currently use the same internet connection but are not connected by lan.
I would rather setup a lan connection to enable sharing of the broadband connection rather than fork out for three broadband modems.
Is it possible to connect any pc to broadband in these circumstances if the pc with the modem is switched off, or would it have to be on?

Any advice?
Thanks!

M@rk 19:58 31 Mar 04

There are minimum spec depending on the equipment you purchase, that said this may be of some use? click here

y_not 20:06 31 Mar 04

I use BB with three PC's and a laptop sharing the connection.

I use a Belkin router click here , PCI LAN cards & a Zoomair click here card in the laptop.

Costa a few quid extra but well worth it

Good luck

Tony

byfordr 20:37 31 Mar 04

click here

3 broadband modems wouldn't work ;-)

What you need is a modem/router/(wireless?) all in one unit.

The type would depend on whether you use a bt based line. click here is a superb bit of kit including a hardware firewall and wireless b or g standard.

Have a quick look at the link and the links contained within. Post back with any queries.

R

bremner 20:45 31 Mar 04

To answer your final point. The modem is connected to the router not an individual PC therefore it does not matter if any of the PC's are switched off.

alan2206 22:19 31 Mar 04

Thanks everyone for your quick responce, i have got a lot better idea of what i am dealing with now. (Ps. All 3 pcs are win xp. incase this means anything, just adding as an after thought!)

Theres what i think i have to do. please correct me if im wrong ;-)
1 Order bb internet from isp
2 Get wireless bb router
3 Get 3 wireless lan expansion cards
4 Connect Modem to router (can usb modem supplied by isp be used, or do i have to buy one with a standard connecter, or what????)
5 Connect all, and switch on

Q. Have i missed anything

Like i said before, thanks
u guys really know your stuff

alan2206 22:33 31 Mar 04

it may seem stupid, but :-
Can you make and recieve phone calls using the same line as when you are on bb
thanks

byfordr 23:27 31 Mar 04

Yes you can make and receive phonecalls...just make sure you buy a micro filter for every phone point in the house. Used these loads of times with no problems click here £1.17
I find a lot of the modems supplied by isps to be a bit shoddy, you may do better with a all in one unit. Linksys, Dlink, Netgear - most firms do one.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…