Wifi

dogbreath1 21:18 22 Jul 09

Samsung NC10 netbook, XP SP3.

Will not connect to wifi sources and stay connected (at home or away) unless the signal strength shows very good.

Can anything be done to improve gain. Am open to all suggestions!! ;)

tullie 21:23 22 Jul 09

How far are you from the sources?I dont think the wifi card in a netbook has the range of a laptop.

dogbreath1 21:29 22 Jul 09

Currently, the netbook is about 9m away from the router and on the same floor. I'm getting signal readings between 'very good' and 'good'. When reading 'good', I can't even refresh the current page!

woodchip 21:53 22 Jul 09

If this is XP, check Device Manager Networking\Properties\Advanced tab the check in the drop down that its not set to Wireless Power Saving when on Battery

dogbreath1 15:05 23 Jul 09

Thanks, woodchip. That sounds very promising.

dogbreath1 16:26 24 Jul 09

Followed up what you suggested. The specific key presses were as follows:-

Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter > Choose Properties > Choose Advanced > Choose Power Save Mode > Set value to Off.

The result (on top of reducing battery life, no doubt) is that the NC10 will now comfortably connect to a wireless network even when router signal strength reads 'Good' or even 'Low'.

For my use, this is far more favourable to longer battery life but problematic connection.

A search on t'internet shows that many NC10 users have experienced connectivity problems when their machine isn't close to the router. Hopefully, my problem is now over and theirs to if they happen upon this.

Thanks to woodchip for the pointer.

woodchip 22:27 24 Jul 09

My HP Laptop used to cut out on battery, that how I found the above

Carafaraday 20:35 21 Aug 09

Bookmarked for future reference - hopefully not going to be needed!

Carafaraday 20:42 21 Aug 09

To get to Device Manager on XP, start, control panel, system, hardware...............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now