wifi ?

rosie12 19:16 05 Jun 06

Hi, I have boughtg a new laptop that has wifi, I am trying to use it at home at the moment to share my broadband internet connection with my PC, however It wont log on to the internet, shouldn't it do it automatically? I am using xp home on both machines...

VoG II 19:18 05 Jun 06

A silly question, but do you have a wireless router?

Ikelos 19:20 05 Jun 06

what wireless router do you have ? and have you loaded the software...

ade.h 19:20 05 Jun 06

This would have been better posted in Networking.

- How are you trying to connect? It is possible, based on previous discussions, for novices to think that they have coonected to their router without actually having done so.

- Have you configured your client firewall, assuming that you use one? Permissions need to be set in the trusted area to allow communications through the LAN.

Ikelos 19:21 05 Jun 06

VOG, you beat me to it

ade.h 19:22 05 Jun 06

Wireless routers do not need software of any kind, though some are supplied with superfluous setup wizards on CD. Routers do not install; they only connect and are not "seen" as such by their clients.

ed-0 19:23 05 Jun 06

If you do have a wireless router, is the WiFi on the laptop switched on?

Ikelos 19:25 05 Jun 06

Hi, with my netgear router and the two cards once the CD was in it set it all up for me..except, of course for the firewall..

ade.h 19:28 05 Jun 06

Whenever I find a router with a "setup" CD, it stays in the box!

ed-0 19:31 05 Jun 06

Same here. I never bother taking the c\d out, you don't need it.

Ikelos 19:55 05 Jun 06

maybe ok the dump the CD if you know what it is all about, but us lesser mortals need the help. :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…