wierd file on desktop

eccomputers 21:13 07 Jan 03
  eccomputers 21:13 07 Jan 03

I have a strange file that keeps appearing on my desktop. The file name is '~' and if I delete it, it later reappears.
I opened the file in notepad and although its difficult to read, I could make out a lot of email addresses from my address book and sites that I have visited.
I use btinternet
I use norton 2003 antivirus (no firewall)
I use xp pro

Foolsbane_1 21:26 07 Jan 03

Right click/Properties give any information?

Wak 21:29 07 Jan 03

If you want a suggestion??
Go into Windows Explorer and look at
C:\Windows\Application data\Microsoft\Address book.
In there ( with Windows 98SE) you should have two files, one is JoeBloggs.wa~ (or whatever your name is)and the other is JoeBloggs.wab.
Either of these could have been sent to the desk top as a shortcut by a right click.
If you have anything else in there, I would send it to the recycle bin and see what happens.
You can always restore it from the bin if necessary.

eccomputers 21:38 07 Jan 03

Right clicked on it and it just says 215kb.
I changed its name from '~' to user.wab and double clicked on it. It has opened up as my address book, which incidentally is the same size. Why does it copy itself to the desktop though?.

Wak 16:48 08 Jan 03

It could have been caused by a random, accidental right click????
Have you now got two wab files?? one a user.wab and the other YourName.wab???
If you have, I'd try to remove the user.wab to the recycle bin and see what happens.
You can always restore it from the bin if necessary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…