Widows XP startup problems......help!!!!

tlr 08:46 09 Feb 06

I have just tried to start my PC and it starts to boot as normal then it goes to the welcome screen and up pops an error message that reads
'A problem is preventing widows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code 0x80090006' My only option from there is to OK it. It then goes to the welcome screen which gives my log on name and a 'turn computer off' options. If I click my name I get the same error code as above.
How do I get into safe mode to try and sort it or is there something else I can do
Windows XP home SP2
Thanks
Dave

Graham ® 09:15 09 Feb 06

Press F8 when booting for safe mode.

Is it a Dell? See this article
click here

tlr 09:36 09 Feb 06

Its not a Dell, its one I built 4 years and I put XP on at the time

Graham ® 09:42 09 Feb 06

Check the filing system - Run, 'sfc /scannow'

SANTOS7 10:26 09 Feb 06

The error code is related to the MBR which has asigned a drive letter to the drive that the O/S was originally on if the disc is cloned it takes that registry info with it,if it is put onto another HDD
it is asuming it is a copy of an original...

tlr 20:19 09 Feb 06

The disk is a genuine disk and the HDD is the same one all I did was shut the PC down at night and attempt to start it up again next day

tlr 22:36 09 Feb 06

Tried to start in safe mode and got same response, tried to reboot with 'last known good configuration', is my drive destined for reinstallation?

VoG II 22:40 09 Feb 06

Try a repair click here

SANTOS7 22:45 09 Feb 06

Hey tlr it may well be that the MBR is corrupt
click here
try a fix details in the link....

billyliv 09:20 10 Feb 06

Is your hard drive a 'Maxtor'?. Cheers, Bill

tlr 16:42 10 Feb 06

It is a Maxtor yes.....is this common?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…