Widescreen Resolution Problem

Cryo 20:57 06 Mar 08

I am trying to get a widescreen monitor working correctly that requires 1440x900 resolution. Although I have downloaded the latest available driver for my 6 year old GeForce2Ti graphics card from the “Legacy” section of the website; I cannot get the screen to work properly, despite that resolution being available in the “List all Modes” section of “Settings” in Display Modes. The highest I can get it to work is 1152x864, but with some slight distortion (i.e. people look slightly fatter, circles not completely round.)
My question is, am I correct in assuming that I need to upgrade my Graphics card? (I have been advised that an Asus GeForce 6200 is a suitable replacement for the original unit) I would like some confirmation if possible, that I am taking the correct path and that my assumption is correct, before I spend out on a replacement? All comments most welcome.

DieSse 21:59 06 Mar 08

Make sure the refresh rate is set to 60Hz (which you should do for an LCD screen anyway)- and try lowering the number of colours setting.

GeF2Ti is a pretty old adapter, and maybe can't support all settings at higher modes together, particularly if it hasn't got much RAM on the card.

A GeF6200 (or even a 5200, at lower cost - I've got a 5200, fanless, and it works fine with no games)should be a good replacement - make sure you get an AGP version, not a PCIe one.

Totally-braindead 22:03 06 Mar 08

The 6200 is an old card now and quite basic but its still superior to what you have so it would be a suitable replacement.

Whether this would solve your problem I don't know as I haven't got a widescreen monitor.

Cryo 00:24 08 Mar 08

Thank you DieSse & braindead for your comments, I have tried the lower colour setting and am already running @ 60Hz;so you have confirmed my belief that I need to change the card.Thank you for your help,
Cryo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac