Widescreen monitors

Tim1964 23:29 16 Apr 06

I've been looking at upgrading to a TFT monitor to replace my 19" CRT.

A 19" widescreen is within my budget but my query is, what does a webpage/program (that is designed for a resolution of 1024 by 768 for e.g.) actually look like at 1400 by 900? I wouldn't want to pay the extra just to have thick black lines down both sides of the screen like a widescreen TV set to 4:3.
Even on this site I get grey bars down the sides and, with the bookmarks list closed, I also have blue bars either side of the grey ones with no 'usable'extra width to the display.

Does anyone, with a widescreen display find it OK for websites/DVDs and games?

Thanks.

terryf 23:37 16 Apr 06

I have a 19" gnr lcd monitor with a maximum native resolution of 1280 x 1024, websites look great, the resolution you quoted seems strange to me.

hzhzhz 23:42 16 Apr 06

Widescreen monitors are much easier on the eyes.

Tim1964 00:21 17 Apr 06

Oops, the resolution should have been 1440 by 900.

There's an example here..

click here

Seems a good price for a large widescreen.

ddd3 00:35 17 Apr 06

Excellent price as long as it's a good monitor. Don't forget two things. 1/ A bad TFT monitor is a [i]very[/i] bad monitor 2/ The screen is measured diagonally. A 19" widescreen, by my reckoning, will be smaller but wider than a regular 17", if you get my drift.

As to your original question, it depends entirely upon the website you're accessing and the resolution you choose (There's a third thing... 3/ Some TFT monitors are very unforgiving if you try to use anything other than native resolution, and 4/ Most TFT monitors refresh noticably slower than their CRT equivalents.)

{That's 4 things - The Man in the Great Big Hat}

Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition...

Tim1964 09:59 17 Apr 06

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure my graphics card could be set to the resolution of the monitor so I may have to factor in a card upgrade as well.

hssutton 10:35 17 Apr 06

I have a 20" widescreen 1600 x 1200 (viewable area across the screen 16.2") when viewing this site I finish up with a 3.5" blue bar on each side which is almost 50% of the viewable area. some other sites that I visit are even worse.

On the bright side an increasing number of widescreen monitors can be used in "Potrait" mode which resolves the problem. As I use my monitor primarily for photoshop work, widescreen is highly desirable, but for normal PC related work probably not worth the bother.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…