Widescreen monitor...

IClaudio 19:51 27 Sep 08

... t'other half is lusting after a 24" monitor so that she can see more of her spreadsheets. She has an ancient laptop with a Radeon 9000 card, can't upgrade the card (a company computer) - I'm sure this won't run the monitor in proper Widescreen mode, but will she be able to live with the display until she can get a new laptop (maybe a few months away...)?

woodchip 20:04 27 Sep 08

Makro Warehouse as a HP Pavilion 24ins in on offer at the moment but it is over £300 you can get cheaper but like anything else you only get what you pay for. As its a long term investment do not buy cheap ones click here

woodchip 20:09 27 Sep 08
  IClaudio 20:29 27 Sep 08

Thanks: maybe I should have also mentioned that we have done much Googling and Kelkooing - so we've seen all the bargains and otherwise. It appears that there are no Normal Aspect monitors bigger than 19", so the question is really about whether she can live with widescreen...

GaT7 20:41 27 Sep 08

I reckon she'll get used to a widescreen. We all do - eventually. And even grow to love it! With widescreen, she can have 2 spreadsheets/documents open side by side :-). And at higher resolutions see a lot more of them, area-wise.

You're right in thinking the 9000 graphics won't run a 24" TFT at its native resolution, but I'm not sure how good (or bad) it'll look at a res that it can manage.

If £300 is too much for a 24" (it IS in the case of the HP w2408h, being a TN panel) & the other half fancying something wider (not in any way implying her figure - God forbid!), may I suggest this Dell 24" S2409W Full HD Monitor for just over £200 click here. If you notice it has a res of 1920x1080 making it 'wider' than a regular widescreen monitor with a 1920x1200 res. The 9000 graphics won't do it any justice though. G

IClaudio 23:53 01 Oct 08

A beautiful Samsung SyncMaster 24" turned up today, and she's over the moon.

Trouble is, before she got home, I hooked it up to my machine and had two screens running... oh joy... so now I have to get one as well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…