wi-fi settings

i have a toshiba laptop (satellite 2430-402)and according to its manual it has got Wi Fi built in and there is a switch on the side called wireless communication switch.according to the manual and in order to activate this function i need to go to start-control panel-system-device manager-network adaptors-toshiba wireless LAN mini PCI card and enable.the problem is i cant find this last one under network adaptors (cant find toshiba wireless...etc).how can i activate the WiFi function as im planning to buy a printer with WiFi functionality...thanx

mgmcc 19:58 25 Apr 04

Did you switch on with the "Wireless Communication" switch on the side before looking in Device Manager? It may be that the switch physically disconnects the WiFi Adaptor so that it is removed from the system. Try switching it on and rebooting, then check Device Manager.

thank u for the suggession but it did not work

Quiller. 20:30 25 Apr 04

Have you looked in the bios for an " enable WiFi".

They may be a chance that this is in the disable position.

The physical switch will be to stop the radio signal when the WiFi is not in use.

im always afraid of going into bios in case i change something...im not very experienced in computers and will appreciate help and advice

mgmcc 20:37 25 Apr 04

From Toshiba's website for the satellite 2430-402:

-----8<----------
Wireless communication Compliancy : FIR
Network Support : 4 Mbps
Wireless Technology : Fast InfraRed
Version : IrDA 1.1
Wireless Technology : Wireless LAN upgradeable with optional mini PCI card
-----8<----------

which suggests that WiFi is an upgrade option and not pre-installed.

mgmcc 20:39 25 Apr 04

...and it would help considerably if the PCA forum software would stop destroying the formatting of posts!!!

this is very strange as no mention of the upgrade in the manual plus why did they include the switch as if you are going to insert wifi card you just take it out when not using it....iam puzzled!!!!!

thank you every one for the advice...i checked the toshiba website which agreed with what mgmcc has said...thank you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac