wi fi router

squashman 00:37 27 Aug 10

Hi,

I am currently running my pc from vigin cable via a modem and then ethernet cable and getting good speeds of 9865kbps from my 10m service.
My wife wants to run her laptop via wifi. I beleive I can run both the pc via ethernet as now through a wifi router as well as the laptop. Will I get as good speeds on the pc doing this, and can anyone recommend a suitable router.

Cheers

gazzaho 05:44 27 Aug 10

An 802.11g wifi card and router can transfer data at a theoretical maximum speed of 54Mbps or half the speed of a wired connection. An 802.11n wifi card and router can transfer data at a theoretical speed of over 100Mbps or equivalent to a wired connection.

Connection with the slower 802.11b/g wifi is fine for most purposes like browsing the web, but if your wife intends to stream video over wifi then the slower speed may be a problem.

802.11n routers are more expensive than the 802.11b/g ones but unless you have, or intend to buy a laptop with an 802.11n card fitted there isn't much point in spending the extra money, you won't get to use the speed. I myself have a D-Link DIR 825 draft n router and have had no problems with it, you can pick one up for around £100 or so, a draft b/g router can be found for around £50 or so.

If you have draft n equipment then that would be the way to go otherwise save the money and pick a draft b/g, all routers usually come with 4 ports to connect via wire along with the wifi capability. As your provider (like my own) is Virgin you will also have to make sure the router is for cable and not NDSL which is used for BT broadband.

squashman 10:55 27 Aug 10

Thanks for that, very helpful.
Does the wired connection maintain the same speed it had without the router?

Pineman100 10:59 27 Aug 10

Not if you and your wife are both connected to the internet at the same time, and doing something bandwidth-hungry like streaming. You'll be sharing the bandwidth.

But your 10Mb connection is very good, and I don't think you'll often be concious of any slowdown.

woodchip 11:00 27 Aug 10

I think you will find your wireless connection will be slower at download speed this also can be reflected on what speed your wireless router supports and the card should be compatible with this speed g or n

squashman 11:09 27 Aug 10

thanks,
not really so bothered about the wireless side, just don't want to drop any speed on the pc when used on its own.

Simsy 11:10 27 Aug 10

Changed my isp to virginmedia, on cable.

I too am on the 10M service and also get a speed of circa 9800 on the ethernet connection...

The wireless router I'm using, (supplied by Virgin), is a Dlink DIR615, "n" type, and I also get circa 9800 when using the laptop wirelessly, downa floor and one room away from the router.

Not at the same time though. I've never measured speeds simultaneously...

I would imaging that I'd get about a 50/50 split on the speed to each machine when used together.

Regards,

Simsy

davidcrls40 11:27 27 Aug 10

Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of forums on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your forum. Thanks
=======================

[url=click here]Ice Cream Machine[/url]

davidcrls40 11:29 27 Aug 10

<a href="click here">Business Companies</a>

woodchip 11:54 27 Aug 10

The above is a Spammer that as been reported to FE

gazzaho 12:00 27 Aug 10

As the others have mentioned, you will loose performance if you and your wife are accessing the Internet simultaneously, after all you are sharing a connection.

This isn't such a big deal if you're just browsing, but if both of you are downloading large files at the same time, say 5GB or so then as Simsy states the transfer speed will, over time, become slower on both machines and balance itself out until you both use 50/50 of the bandwidth, this will happen with either a wired or wireless connection.

The reason for using a router is to connect more than one device at the same time. I have my desktop, laptop, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, iPod Touch all connected to the Internet through the router, my niece also has her laptop connected wirelessly, now if all these devices were in use simultaneously then Internet access would perhaps grind to a halt or be very sluggish, but I'm unlikely to use all my devices at the same time so it's not a problem.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…