//some 3rd party need geo

Wi-Fi Networking with a modem router

nikeshlad 19:22 21 Aug 04

i have just bought a modem router with Wi-Fi. it connects the internet between a pc through ethernet and a laptop thrpugh Wi-Fi. i would like these 2 pc's to connect to each other so that files can be transferred wirelessly. i have tried the network wizard supplied with windows XP (which is the OS for both pc's) but the 2 pc's do not 'talk' to each other and does not allow file transfers. on the laptop the desktop pc is regognised as a network place but does not allow contact with the desktop. Could you please help as being able to transfer files was the main reason for purchasing the modem router. thanks

mgmcc 19:48 21 Aug 04

Make sure that both PCs are in the same Workgroup and if still using the default name, I suggest you change it. Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the IP addresses of the two PCs in the "trusted zone". Presumably, both PCs are getting their IP addresses automatically from the router, as they should be.

Have you actually set at least one folder as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing and Security option?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…