WI FI mega slow..whats the best setup

mr bumble 22:24 11 Dec 05

Hello world,
heres the prob'.... My desktop pc connects directly to the broadband modem, and gives a download speed of 500K. My laptop at the other end of the wifi has a download speed of 15K..!! signal strength is perfect.
I am sure this cannot be right.
I am sure my equipment setup is bad..here it is
NTL Modem connect to desktop PC by USB ( tried ethernet cable and could not make it work )
plugged into desktop is a Belkin 802.11g PCI card
in the laptop is a belkin pcmcia card, same spec'
whats the best way to increase speed at the laptop ????? please..

Chegs ®™ 23:04 11 Dec 05

Thats where your bottleneck is,the laptop to desktop.This will be an "Ad-hoc" or "Peer to Peer" setup which is limited to 11Mbs,if you were to buy a wireless router then the laptop would be connecting to this at 54Mbs/108Mbs(depending on card) The laptop should still be able to connect at faster than 15Kbs though,mine do and I have a similar setup(PCI card in desktop to share my connection for two [not together]laptops)and get full speeds surfing(2Mbs) and upto 11Mbs for file transfers between machines.I'm not certain if the Ad-hoc setup is limited to 11Mbs,as networking is a "black art" as far as my understanding goes. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…