Wi-Fi laptop -limited or no connectivity - no DHCP

cyberphobic 08:19 03 Mar 06

I have an established wireless connection which works well on my 2 laptops.I have recently acquired 2 cheap laptops for my children to use (Compaq 1750s XP/SP2)and I bought 2 Waveplus Wp1200 PCMCIA wi-fi cards to use with them. The wifi network is 802.11g, the cards 802.11b. However I cannot get the cards to connect to the network, signal strength is excellent but there is limited connectivity.If I try the repair option I get the message "the following action cannot be completed - Renewing your IP address" I have followed a couple of threads on this forum and checked on event viewer and there is "no DHCP". I have also downloaded and tried WinsockXPfix without success. I'm not sure what I should do next and would appreciate some suggestions.

RickH0684 21:53 03 Mar 06

is you're current wireless network secured, if so the "new" laptops will need the relevant security settings set on them. DHCP info as far as im aware should all be preset from the ISP and then by your router, you shouldnt really need to play with them settings unless you did initially.

Feel free to get in touch,

Regards

Rick068

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 03 Mar 06

Start - run - type services.msc

scroll down to DHCP client and check if started.

If not then right click, select properties, in start up type box select Automatic, click start click Apply

cyberphobic 10:46 04 Mar 06

Wirelss network isn't secured (nearest house is out of range
Have checked DHCP and it is switched on

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 04 Mar 06

Last time I had this problem (DHCP) turned out to be a faulty network card.

But two faulty cards in the compaqs?

Try posting this problem in the network forum they have mpre Knowledge there.

cyberphobic 15:11 04 Mar 06

I have another network card - a D-Link which I know works - so I will try that next, at least it should narrow down the options.
I already have this thread running in the network forum Oops!

ade.h 16:42 04 Mar 06

I can't assist with your problem, but I wanted to add that you really should enable proper security protocols and MAC filtering once you have everything working correctly. The nearest house maybe out of range, but that's not going to protect you from the usual practice of parking within range and getting free and anonymous internet access at your expense.

cyberphobic 21:08 12 Mar 06

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions for how to solve this problem. I tried everything and wasted hours, in the end I gave up and ordered 2 D-Link 802.11b cards from ebuyer (about £8 each)I installed them and they worked straight away!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now