wi fi for laptop

Hucky 11:45 AM 18 Jan 12

I need a WiFi connection ... But I have no wifi on my laptop can I buy something for this... Thanx

Ibanez2010 11:55 AM 18 Jan 12

Search for wireless dongle. That's all you need.

northumbria61 12:01 PM 18 Jan 12
  Ian in Northampton 12:18 PM 18 Jan 12

A dongle is one solution. Another is, if you have a slot, a PCMCIA wifi card. These can be better if you move your laptop around a lot, as they're (mostly) embedded in the chassis of the laptop, rather than sticking out three inches from the side. Make sure you get one that supports 802.11n, though - 802.11g is the earlier/slower version, and can often be had cheaper than the 802.11n devices.

onthelimit1 13:07 PM 18 Jan 12

I've supplied a number of these. They only stick out about a quarter of an inch, and their performance is quite satisfactory.

Ian in Northampton 13:34 PM 18 Jan 12

onthelimit: that's very cool...

onthelimit1 14:17 PM 18 Jan 12

Ian - yes, I found them by accident, and they're quite brilliant for under a tenner!

Ian in Northampton 15:09 PM 18 Jan 12

I'm interested in your opinion, onthelimit, and it may help the OP. Whenever I install USB wifi dongles, I only ever install the drivers, and never the application software that comes with them - I always leave Windows to manage the wifi connection, as it seems more reliable (like, it will automatically connect when you boot). Yes, you miss out on some features - but they're typically advanced features that I don't want/need anyway. Do you have any feelings either way?

onthelimit1 16:59 PM 18 Jan 12

I have had problems on one laptop where I had to use the minidisk that came with it for the driver - on others, windoze has loaded its own. I always use windoze to manage the connection - find it much more reliable.

Input Overload 17:08 PM 18 Jan 12

northumbria61, that's most impressive & a give-away at the price. Saved that link. :-)

Input Overload 17:09 PM 18 Jan 12

Sorry that was too onthelimit1, need to engage brain before fingers. Sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11