wi fi for laptop

Hucky 11:45 AM 18 Jan 12
Answered

I need a WiFi connection ... But I have no wifi on my laptop can I buy something for this... Thanx

Ibanez2010 11:55 AM 18 Jan 12

Search for wireless dongle. That's all you need.

northumbria61 12:01 PM 18 Jan 12
  Ian in Northampton 12:18 PM 18 Jan 12

A dongle is one solution. Another is, if you have a slot, a PCMCIA wifi card. These can be better if you move your laptop around a lot, as they're (mostly) embedded in the chassis of the laptop, rather than sticking out three inches from the side. Make sure you get one that supports 802.11n, though - 802.11g is the earlier/slower version, and can often be had cheaper than the 802.11n devices.

onthelimit1 13:07 PM 18 Jan 12

I've supplied a number of these. They only stick out about a quarter of an inch, and their performance is quite satisfactory.

Ian in Northampton 13:34 PM 18 Jan 12

onthelimit: that's very cool...

onthelimit1 14:17 PM 18 Jan 12

Ian - yes, I found them by accident, and they're quite brilliant for under a tenner!

Ian in Northampton 15:09 PM 18 Jan 12
Answer

I'm interested in your opinion, onthelimit, and it may help the OP. Whenever I install USB wifi dongles, I only ever install the drivers, and never the application software that comes with them - I always leave Windows to manage the wifi connection, as it seems more reliable (like, it will automatically connect when you boot). Yes, you miss out on some features - but they're typically advanced features that I don't want/need anyway. Do you have any feelings either way?

onthelimit1 16:59 PM 18 Jan 12

I have had problems on one laptop where I had to use the minidisk that came with it for the driver - on others, windoze has loaded its own. I always use windoze to manage the connection - find it much more reliable.

Input Overload 17:08 PM 18 Jan 12

northumbria61, that's most impressive & a give-away at the price. Saved that link. :-)

Input Overload 17:09 PM 18 Jan 12

Sorry that was too onthelimit1, need to engage brain before fingers. Sorry.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…