Wi Fi : How do I connect to the Internet?

Wirral Bagpuss 13:55 18 Jul 04

Right, after alot of late nights and pulling hairs i finally got my laptop and desktop to talk to each other. However i am still stuck on trying to get my laptop to connect to the internet via my desktop PC. How do i do that???? I have tried but to no avail!!! :(:(:( Please help me oput, i am a 34 yr old woman who can just about grasp the concept of wifi!!! ;)

Graham ® 14:24 18 Jul 04

You may be confusing technologies. WiFi allows you to use the laptop 'out and about'. click here

In the home you use a wireless router, which may have a modem built in.

ensonricky 14:26 18 Jul 04

Please can you give move details of your set up. for example what operating systems are you using, do you have a cable modem/router or a usb modem, what wiFi equipment are you employing etc?

Wirral Bagpuss 19:29 18 Jul 04

I have Linksys USB wifi adapter and a notebook adapter for the laptop!! The guy in PC World advised that wouls be all i needed to set me up! Was he mistaken or worse incompetant????

Graham ® 19:59 18 Jul 04

What does it say on the boxes? As I've already said, WiFi is used to connect to the internet when away from home, using 'hotspots' in motorway service areas, hotels, shopping molls :-), etc.

pops1000uk 20:55 18 Jul 04

IF you have only a wireless card in your pc and a wireless card in your laptop you will need to enable ics (Internet Connection Sharing)

Wirral Bagpuss 23:32 18 Jul 04

how do i do that? ICS Sharing??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…