Wi fi and electrical cables

willo500 23:26 05 Dec 09

Hi

I have used a router with the Advent ethernet adapters to connect laptops, desktops, and a printer through our electrical cables. I am now about to go for a wireless router, probably a wireless N thing as we have quite a lot of walls etc.

My question is whether I can keep the electrical connection to the printer going while using wireless for the rest of the stuff. I though that if I plugged in an ethernet cable to the wall from the router this should be possible.

I want to do this because my printer is in another room from my computer, and hasn't got a wireless connection capability.

Also if some devices didn't pick up wireless very well from their location could I use the electric cable connection for them?

If I did this would it half the amount of bandwidth available? Would this make a difference from connecting a couple of devices wirelessly?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance.

Willie

mgmcc 09:06 06 Dec 09

A "wireless" router is just a normal router but with a built-in "Wireless Access Point". You can continue to use it just as you do at the moment, via its LAN ports, but with the additional ability to connect wireless devices to it.

Wired connections via the LAN ports will run at the full speed of ethernet - 100Mbps (or 1000Mbps for a Gigabit network). Wireless connections will share the available wireless bandwidth.

Wired networking will always be a more reliable system than wireless.

willo500 22:09 07 Dec 09

Hi mgmcc and thanks for the help. I much appreciate it and will act accordingly.

Willo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…