Wi Fi card won`t instal

bumpkin 23:05 PM 22 Oct 11

Hi everyone , I am trying to move into the 21st century at last but can`t seem to do the simplest thing. I want to change my existing 4 comp wired network to wireless as I believe the new router will be faster. Using Windows XP Pro on a pent 4 with good specs as main machine. I have set up the wireless router OK. Using a PCI card in the main PC, it says "Found new hardware" but it won`t install it even though it is new with the CD driver.

Can anyone help please, I expected it to be a nightmare but I wasn`t planning on falling at the first hurdle :)

Thanks Ray

rdave13 23:10 PM 22 Oct 11

As its 'seen' in device manager try to install the drivers from there. As it's a new card the CD drivers might be for Vista or Win 7.

bumpkin 23:22 PM 22 Oct 11

Thanks for the quick reply I will give that a try.

bumpkin 18:14 PM 23 Oct 11

Thanks Dave, tried that to no avail. The instructions with this are hopeless, it tells me to start with a file XXXXXX.Exe (example) but the file is not on the disk. I have managed to install it now by trying various other files at random until one worked.

I have a feeling that the companies that make these things are aware of the errors and sell them off cheap to dealers who sell them on Ebay not giving a toss how much aggro they cause.

Thanks for your reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know