Wi Fi card won`t instal

bumpkin 23:05 PM 22 Oct 11

Hi everyone , I am trying to move into the 21st century at last but can`t seem to do the simplest thing. I want to change my existing 4 comp wired network to wireless as I believe the new router will be faster. Using Windows XP Pro on a pent 4 with good specs as main machine. I have set up the wireless router OK. Using a PCI card in the main PC, it says "Found new hardware" but it won`t install it even though it is new with the CD driver.

Can anyone help please, I expected it to be a nightmare but I wasn`t planning on falling at the first hurdle :)

Thanks Ray

rdave13 23:10 PM 22 Oct 11

As its 'seen' in device manager try to install the drivers from there. As it's a new card the CD drivers might be for Vista or Win 7.

bumpkin 23:22 PM 22 Oct 11

Thanks for the quick reply I will give that a try.

Ray

bumpkin 18:14 PM 23 Oct 11

Thanks Dave, tried that to no avail. The instructions with this are hopeless, it tells me to start with a file XXXXXX.Exe (example) but the file is not on the disk. I have managed to install it now by trying various other files at random until one worked.

I have a feeling that the companies that make these things are aware of the errors and sell them off cheap to dealers who sell them on Ebay not giving a toss how much aggro they cause.

Thanks for your reply.

Ray

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites