Wi-Fi Assistance

JohnR08 16:47 05 Feb 09

Hi everyone.
I've got an HP pavilion desktop using XP and have used it for the past coupple of years connected to my BT homehub using an ethernet cable.
I now want to move the Hub somewhere else and so I've got a wireless card for the PC - Broadcom I think. Now I've loaded the drivers and stuff that came with it, but where do I find the utility that finds and selects available WiFi networks. I've got this on the laptop and it works great, but can't find it on the desktop. Is it a download??
Thanks
John

JohnR08 16:57 05 Feb 09

When I look at Hardware under system details in the control panel it shows a huge Question mark against this card, so it may not have installed propoerly either.
HELP !!!

JohnR08 16:57 05 Feb 09

When I look at Hardware under system details in the control panel it shows a huge Question mark against this card, so it may not have installed propoerly either.
HELP !!!

mgmcc 22:40 05 Feb 09

If the Wireless Network Adapter is shown in Device Manager as not being installed properly, double click it to open its Properties, select the Driver tab and then click the Update Driver Button. When the wizard starts, select "No" to searching Windows Update, then in the next step select the option to install from a specific location and "Browse" to the drivers on the CD.

Once installed properly, you will have a "Wireless Network Connection" in the Network Connections folder. If you haven't installed the adapter's wireless networking software, and are using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration to manage the networking (which I'd recommend), you can right click the Wireless Network Connection, select "View Available Wireless Networks", highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos