Wi-Fi Antenna connection...what is it?

freaky 19:38 21 Dec 04

I have just unpacked a new Mesh Base Unit, on the back is a Wi-Fi connector socket. Also included is a little black plastic thing shaped like a radio mast with Asus written on it. It has a cable that would connect into the Wi-Fi socket.

I must sound very ignorant, but would somebody kindly explain what it does ???

€dstowe 19:42 21 Dec 04

Wi-Fi is a radio system. The mystery object is a receive/transmit aerial. It must be attached to the connector socket in order to use the Wi-Fi facility.

€dstowe 19:44 21 Dec 04

Sorry, I think I misunderstood slightly. Wi-Fi is a radio system that connects two or more computers together without the need for a wired connection.

LeadingMNMs 19:45 21 Dec 04

So, if your not connecting to a wireless network then you don't need to install it.

freaky 20:25 21 Dec 04

Thanks for the info. I would like to tranfer data etc from my existing computer to the new unit that has the Wi-Fi connector. My existing computer does not have a Wi-Fi connector, am I correct in assuming that this would not be possible?

LeadingMNMs 10:22 22 Dec 04

Its only possible if both computers have Wi-Fi. Depending on what you want to transfer and your hardware, it is alot easier to burn the data onto a CD and transfer it that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…