Wi-Fi

Ironside01 14:49 11 Jul 03

I need to buy two new computers )a desk top and a laptop) and have been considering networking them and this existing desktop together. I notice that wi-fi is becoming popular.

If the computers I buy already have internal radios (Time are advertising such machines at present) at 802.11b , will an ADSL router working to 802.11g work with them?

Also can anybody recommend an ADSL router with built in VPN.

802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b but there is a big difference between them!

the 11g standard transfers data at 54mbps while 11b is only 11mbps, or perhaps 22mbps depending.

Why would you want to have the capability to transfer data at 54mbps with two NEW computers that are only able to receive it at 22Mbps max?

Get Time to pull their finger out and fit 11g cards into the pc's (Get a laptop that accepts a PCMICA card for the wireless 11g cardbus)

Gaz 25 15:59 11 Jul 03

I must tell you know and ADSL router will only work if it is directly connected to the PC, you would need to connect it up to the PC sharing the connetion or get a wireless one,

Also there are many security issues with WiFi, so ensure you have passwords on all network shares, only add computers with specific IP's to your trusted list in your firewall, add encryiption.

First if you have three PC's you need to assign PC1: 192.168.0.1 then PC2: 192.168.0.2 and PC3: 192.168.0.3

And only add them to your Firewall not the whole range, then if a Rogue 192.168.0.5 comes along he will not be able to access your network.

And if he tries 192.168.0.2 he will get: There is already a computer with this IP, please chose another,

Gaz 25 16:01 11 Jul 03

Also beware of the super mint Time 2600+ laptop:

It is a great price at £999 but I have had many problems with time.

It is up to you.

jazzypop 18:53 11 Jul 03

"I must tell you know and ADSL router will only work if it is directly connected to the PC, you would need to connect it up to the PC sharing the connetion or get a wireless one, "

Misleading nonsense.

You connect the router to your ADSL (i.e. the data outlet of the microfilter, that is connected to your ADSL-enabled telephone socket). Each PC then connects to the router, either wired or wirelessly. Most routers that use the 192.168.0.xxx numbering system, use 192.168.0.1 for the router. There is no 'PC sharing the connection' if you are using an ADSL router. See click here for a refresher.

Ironside01

click here for a selection of WiFi 802.11g ADSL routers. Virtually all decent routers nowadays include VPN support, but do check the detailed specification of the model you choose first.

Ironside01 09:36 12 Jul 03

Thanks to all for your help.

Sturmey 12:42 12 Jul 03

Whats vpn?

jazzypop 13:00 12 Jul 03

Virtual Private Network - a method of using an Internet connection to create a secure, direct connection between 2 PCs (as opposed to needing a Leased Line, or private network).

Google will tell you much, much more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…