Wi-Fi

Rupstoh 17:54 16 Feb 11

I am with Virgin Media on Broadband 10 meg. I have bought an Amazon Kindle and have been surprised that a simple plug-in USB cable takes so many steps in order to download a book.

Amazon helpline told me I need wi-fi to make it easier.

Can anyone confirm whether I can just buy a wireless router or do I have to go through Virgin?

Also, can anyone tell me what kit I really need as I am a clueless idiot.

Thanks.

mgmcc 19:50 16 Feb 11

The Kindle really needs to connect to the internet using WiFi.

I have Virgin 10Mbps Cable and use a D-Link DIR-615 which I believe is the model Virgin supply (or did supply) although I bought mine myself. Any wireless "Cable/DSL" router will be fine, just be sure *NOT* to get an ADSL Modem/Router. Cable routers don't incorporate a modem and connect by ethernet cable to Virgin's Cable Modem.

I have the Kindle software installed in the PC and use that to buy and download books. I then start the Kindle, which synchronises with Amazon, and download the same book to it, via a direct WiFi connection to the router.

Strawballs 22:49 16 Feb 11

Virgin now do a combined modem/router which they should supply you if you ask but if you do go down the route of buying your own you will need a cable router that will connected to your exsisting modem as mgmcc has said click here any one of these will do.

I too am on 10meg Virgin and I use a 5yr old Linksys one which I bought myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…