Wi-Fi

woodchip 20:17 15 Oct 07

How good is built in Wi-Fi supposed to be. I got a New HP laptop And it connects OK saying Excellent Signal. But it drops Connection or says poor connection. If I use a USB dongle I do not have this problem. I can be using this Laptop Static downstairs. Router is Upstairs Could it be something in the Windows Wireless connection software that is the problem. PS it does not dissconect if I am near to Router, but what's the point if I cannot be a bit further away

woodchip 21:06 15 Oct 07

^

skidzy 21:14 15 Oct 07

Hiya Woody
Not again my friend :-(

You dont seem to be having much luck with wireless at the moment.

My lappy is fine and even tested the signal to around 180 feet and seems ok.
I dont have the lappy with me at the moment but i believe it has a Intel pro wireless card.

Though no matter what idle time is set to within the router,it will still drop the connection if the lappy is left idle for around 30 minutes.
Probably not a lot of help to you,but thought i would post.

Technotiger 21:16 15 Oct 07

If I use a USB dongle I do not have this problem.

Uhh - so use a USB dongle ... Doh :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 15 Oct 07

Though no matter what idle time is set to within the router,it will still drop the connection if the lappy is left idle for around 30 minutes.

Device manager - device - right click - properties - power management tab - untick Allow the computer to turn off this device

woodchip 21:23 15 Oct 07

It's not Idle, I goes of while in use. Loose’s connection. The Dongle does not have this if I disable Wi-Fi. But it defeats the object of Wi-Fi

skidzy 21:33 15 Oct 07

For months ive tried to figure out why the computers on the network drop out from there connection,only the boys games stay connected when directly connected to there server..ie no browser open.

I will try your tip when at the network tomorrow.

Sorry Woody,dont mean to hijack your thread.

Woody can you update the cards driver,but i guess you have done this.Does this help click here

woodchip 21:39 15 Oct 07

Thank's not sure on the built in card I will have to check it out

Strawballs 21:43 15 Oct 07

My router is downstairs in the backroom and with my HP laptop with the built in (Braodcom) wireless I can pickup my network from the back of the house over the road.

PS I hav not forgot the disc will be posting it in the next couple of days, posties seem to be begining to sort their differences.

woodchip 21:56 15 Oct 07

This is what I get even with Laptop at side of router The Network did not assign a network address to the Computer. But looked in router settings and the Physical Address is there. So what's up

woodchip 22:00 15 Oct 07

Thank's for that, But just to put you in the Picture. The OEM disc I have loaded on what is my 98se computer and said it wanted Activating. how would I do that and also where would I put the Info. I would be Activating by phone. So what number would I ring????? lot's of questions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…