Why would I need 80 pin IDE lead?...

martjc 18:56 09 Mar 06

...I have two HDDs on IDE1 and two optical drives, DVD rom and DVD R/W +R DL, on the other. I have found it difficult to write successfully to several brands of dual layer disks, although the drive is capable of it and has the latest BenQ firmware.

I have noticed that on booting I get the error 'No 80 pin cable.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but standard IDE connections are only 40 pin and all my connections and cables are 40 pin.

How would an 80 pin cable fit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 09 Mar 06

40/80 wire IDE connectors
click here

Mikè 19:07 09 Mar 06

It's not 80 pin it is 80 wire, the additional 40 are interwoven between the others to enable faster data transfer.

martjc 19:20 09 Mar 06

...This seems to say that the 80 conductor cable is not my problem! I'm now stumped - even if I fit an 80 con cable to IDE1, it will solve the error message but make no difference to optical drives.

martjc 19:36 09 Mar 06

Does anyone have any ideas about my first point???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 09 Mar 06

Optical drives on same ide channel for some PC models just wont work.

How old is PC? if less than 5 years you probably have 80 pin cables.

Check cable is not loose at either end.

swap cable from HDD with cable from DVD.

Make sure DVD RW drive is the Master drive on the cable.

martjc 19:43 09 Mar 06

PC is home built about two years ago. I only used 40 wire cables.
Everything works o.k. apart from writing to DL DVD disks. Every time I try, I get failure notice. I have tried with different writing software.

Storik 20:23 09 Mar 06

"Everything works o.k. apart from writing to DL DVD disks. Every time I try, I get failure notice. I have tried with different writing software."

Does this also apply to DL media? I use both types of media without problems.

I have 80 pin cables attached to both my DV-ROM and DVD writer, from a motherboard that has this facility and must confess that I have no problems. Perhaps your DVD writer is particularly finnicky over the media you use?

Of course this might not be the problem at all and maybe it is the program you are using?

Just some passing thoughts.

Storic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now