Why won't Word open .doc files?

fudge 20:05 23 Dec 04

I'm using Word 2000 and trying to open a .doc file sent to me on CD. Word firstly responds with a message that it can't open that type of file (which is rubbish because it opens them all the time) and then after a while it opens the document, but all I see is a page full of little squares where each character should be.

This file is pretty big - about 4.5Mb - so could this be why or is it something to do with how the CD has been written? The file is a read-only so I can't change the file type. It happens on 2 differnet computers, both with Word 2000.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to read this document. I need it urgently and the sender has now closed for the Christmas hols so I'm stuck.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:21 23 Dec 04
  howard60 20:21 23 Dec 04

try opening it in notepad! if it opens ok then save it to the clipboard and put it into word. It could be written in another version of word. For example when word 95 came out the previous version could not read it. You can download a word file reader which may be able to do it.

fudge 20:48 23 Dec 04

Tried that link thanks, but it only tells me how to open a file in Word - which is what I can't do.

I've tried to open it in Wordpad, Notepad, Word and Works but they all produce the same result, or non-result as it happens!

I've also tried to open the file from within Word but the same thing happens.

Incidentally, there are several other .doc files on this CD, all of which open OK, so it makes me think it must be something to do with the size of this file or maybe something to do with the CD recording. Could it have been finalized when it shouldn't have been, or vice-versa? Would this make any difference anyway?

VoG II 20:51 23 Dec 04

It might have been corrupted during the burning process.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 22:48 28 Dec 04

I agree it does sound like the file is the problem and not Word

Taff36 06:50 29 Dec 04

I agree. Final Thought though - Have you tried copying the file from the CD to your hard drive first and then opening it. It could be that your CD reader is struggling to read the file quick enough, hence the delay in opening it.

Diemmess 09:06 29 Dec 04

Depending on the need to know the contents, you can try opening it from Word, as "any recoverable text". Then copy/paste what you want to a new document.

Just occasionally over the years I have had a rogue Word file which either wont open or wont save, and I suspect the "hidden bits" are the parts that have been corrupted.

fudge 09:20 29 Dec 04

I tried some of the ideas suggested but none worked. I never got round to the yours Diemmess, so don't know about that.

However, I have managed to contact the company who sent it and they have emailed me a new copy (a pretty big file though - nearly 5Mb). I expected problems with the download but all went well and the file has opened perfectly OK. So all's well that ends well!

Thanks to everyone for the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…