Why won't my copied cd work?

Greengo 15:15 13 Dec 04

I copied a program from a disk to another so that i would have a copy to work on at home. I have installed the program onto my home computer. I need the disk to boot up the program, but it doesn't work. When i use the original it boots up. Why doesn't my copied disk work, please help?

ACOLYTE 15:22 13 Dec 04

Probably has copy protection on the cd and the copy wont boot,this can be anything from bad sectors built in to the original cd,to key checks on the files themselves.

plsndrs3 15:30 13 Dec 04

Commercially available programs have anti-piracy codes on them. One way of this being effective is to prevent certain parts being copied - such as the files or programming that the installed part 'looks' for on the disk. This means that a copied disk will not run, although it will seem to be OK and the program can even be installed. As I said, this is an anti-piracy safguard.

What is the program in question? The reason I ask is that, whilst you are unlikely to get any help on commercial software, it could be a freeware program which should have no difficulties and then all the above does not apply!

HTH

Paul

BurrWalnut 15:56 13 Dec 04

I suspect you've copied it wrongly. Try again but select all the folders and files at the first level down, i.e. in My Computer double-click the CD drive so that all the first-level files show, select all and copy. You will find there is a file called autorun.inf that starts the loading of the CD.

TomJerry 15:56 13 Dec 04

normally you cannot copy copy-protect CDs such as games.

There are ways to get around this, but it involves some detective work. I am not sure if this is legal, so no advice will be given. Anyway, it can be done.

TomJerry 15:58 13 Dec 04

legally, it cannnot be done by copying to another CD

pj123 16:44 13 Dec 04

I agree with all the previous responses. But would you like to tell us what programme it is that you copied. It might make a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…