Why won't my burner burn at 8x

Koochy 20:51 17 Feb 06

I am using an Evesham voyager laptop as my home pc and it has a Sony DVD RW DW-D56A dual layer multi format burner in it and it is supposed to burn at 8x with a dvd-r but it will only burn at 4x and also when i use it to direct copy to my external freecom burner it will only read at 4x.

PC Spec athlon 64 3700+ cpu
1024mb ram
win Xp home sp2

Burning software Nero 6 reloaded retail.

Any ideas???

Totally-braindead 20:58 17 Feb 06

Firstly make sure your copy of Nero is fully up to date as this can cause it and secondly the other thing is the type of disks you use.

If Nero or your actual drive do not like the disk used they will automatically drop the speed to stop it making coasters, it doesn't matter if the disk says its 8 speed its what your program and writer thinks it is.

If Nero is fully up to date just try another couple of makes till you find one your writer likes. Alternatively try looking at the Sony site for your drive and see what disks they have tested and recommend and get them.

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:58 17 Feb 06

Are the discs rated at x8 or above

Koochy 21:02 17 Feb 06

Yeah i have tried 8x and 16 times i have also tried various makes aswell i have just downloaded a firmware update also but this has made no difference either could it be my cpu is too slow do you think? or am i off on a wander away from the point here.

Koochy 21:07 17 Feb 06

sorry forgot to say yes my nero software is up to date i just downloade all the updates about 5 days ago.

g0nvs 21:15 17 Feb 06

Had the same problem with my Pioneer DVR 109 writer, a Firmware update soon sorted it out. Have a look on the Sony website to see if there is an upgrade for your writer.

wbiggchiefy 21:16 17 Feb 06

It depends on what you are trying to burn - lots of burning software out there will only let you burn DVD-Rs at 4X (I use DVD Santa a lot and best results are always with 1X - I would rather my copy was OK than didn't work) - read the suppliers help pages on each package you use - they are all somehow different.

Patience is a virtue.

Chiefy.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:28 17 Feb 06

I think Sony has some software that controls the speed of their stuff. Don't know the ins and outs but I am sure it is on their website. Might be worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…