Why will my PC not close down?

amyjen7 16:22 28 Feb 11

My Pc will not shut down so I switch off at the mains.I click the shut down button,everything on the screen goes & I am left with my wall paper & the words "shutting Down" Have left for over 30 mins but no luck. Should I worry as there is no problems when starting up. I run Vista Home Premium & my net work provider is TalkTalk. Thank you Kind regards Keith

northumbria61 16:36 28 Feb 11

Try this -

1, control panel
2, system
3, advanced system settings (left of the dialogue box)
4, performance
5, advanced
6, change
7, unclick automatically
8, custom size
9, initial size 16MB
10, maximum size 1519MB
this should work

OR

go to start menu and run

type in CMD

in command prompt type the following

shutdown.exe -f

shutdown.exe will shut the PC down and the -f will force anything running to close

birdface 16:39 28 Feb 11

Probably downloading SP1 if you are using Windows7 and you have Windows update's set to automatic.
it took about 1.5 hours for me to download it.
Shutting down is not a good idea using the mains.If you can go into task manager and shut it down using that.

birdface 16:41 28 Feb 11

Oops just noticed you have vista so ignore my last remarks.

woodchip 17:20 28 Feb 11

Shutting down by pulling the plug is the worst thing you can do for a PC Hard Drive. You are better holding the start Button in until it shuts down. A Program is not shutting down, or try going into Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices Turn off Windows Close Sound, the file may be corrupt

johnincrete 18:04 01 Mar 11

I had the same problem.
I was having various problems with PC Tools Spyware Doctor and eventually deleted it (getting a full refund).
Then the shutdown problem went away - and so too did all the problems I was having with Firefox.
So maybe try closing down your internet security before shutdown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…