Why Two LAN Sockets?

s99Raj 16:07 23 May 07

I'm going to be getting an Asus A8N SLI Premium Motherboard and I notice that there are two LAN Sockets on board.

What could I use two for?

One would be connected to my VirginMedia broadband connection, but what about the other one?

€dstowe 16:09 23 May 07

Linking to another computer?

s99Raj 16:11 23 May 07

Can I link it to an Apple Mac and get the Internet on both computers?

That would be really useful for me.

MAJ 16:12 23 May 07

as €dstowe + one for a modem which is connected using CAT5 cable a cable modem for example.

Totally-braindead 16:13 23 May 07

Not the question you asked s99Raj but I'm wondering about the board. Have you ordered it yet or do you already have the processor, only reason I ask is I have the deluxe version of this board and its socket 939, if you're getting a new board you'd be better getting a AM2 board as the processors are cheaper, newer and go to faster speeds.

I've looked at my manual and from what the manual says one is a Marvell LAN and the other is a NVIDIA nForce 4, so it appear to me that they are for connecting up different types of LAN? Or would that be using different software?
As you can see I don't know much about it.

s99Raj 16:20 23 May 07

The reason I'm getting it is as a replacement from Novatech as my previous one has suddenly stopped working and this model is the best they can come up with. I already have a Socket 939 processor etc. and so need a board onto which they will fit.

What's an NVIDIA nForce 4 connection?

Totally-braindead 16:22 23 May 07

I'll type exactly what it says in the manual, it'll take a while as I'm rather slow, from what I can see on the manual its just different software/hardware if you know what I mean, as an example theres 2 different makes/types of RAID available on the board depending on what you wish to use.

Totally-braindead 16:28 23 May 07

LAN2 - Supported by the Marvell 88E81001 Gigabit LAN controller, this port allows Gigabit connection to a Local Area Network through a network hub.

LAN 1 - Supported by the NVIDIA nForce 4 Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY, this port allows Gigabit connection to a Local Area Network through a network hub. Then goes on to mention LED indicators for LAN 1.

Double dutch to me mate, perhaps you know what it means, any other questions would be found by downloading the manual from the ASUS site if you can't wait for the board to arrive.

s99Raj 16:46 23 May 07

Yes, not much use to me either. I wish user manuals would make things crystal clear and not always talk jargon.

But thanks anyway, Mr Totally-braindead.

Totally-braindead 19:33 23 May 07

You're welcome Mr s99Raj.

OK Computer 08:17 24 May 07

This is a question, I'm really not sure, but aren't they for either redunancy, e.g. say the motherboard was on a server or critical workstation on a network, it would fail over to the second NIC, if the first one failed? That or creating a dual channel ethernet port so in effect network traffic can be dispersed between both NIC's, improving network performance. That's always what I've presumed anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5