why is there an inetpub direction in my drive?

YinHoNg 14:16 31 Jul 05

Hiya. I've just looked into my c: drive and discovered there's a inetpub folder in there. It wasn't there a couple of days ago and i can't figure out what uses it.

I've run mcafee, adaware and spybot search and destroy and it hasn't implied that its anything dangerous but i've noticed that it uses up a lot of my processor sometimes....

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Pooke 14:25 31 Jul 05

whats in the folder?

Pooke 14:28 31 Jul 05

are running a webserver? thats all google shows it as, from the first few returns anyway.

Pooke 14:28 31 Jul 05

or rather to do with webservers.

YinHoNg 14:30 31 Jul 05

a webserver??? No. I don't even know what that is!

I've also noticed my computer being MUCH slower. A look in my process tree shows a .exe called inetinfo.exe taking up my processor performance - its been at about 99 for half hour now! What the hell is this!!!!

Pooke 14:33 31 Jul 05

click here

click here

any help?

Sorry don't know much about this.

YinHoNg 14:58 31 Jul 05

I read those when i searched google too. In fact a lot of sites seem to deem it as perfectly safe but the fact is a process called inetinfo.exe is taking up all of my processor time!

I've just done a system restore and inetinfo.exe seems to have gone but inetpub hasn't. Weird thing is that system restore didn't uninstall any programs or anything at all - it was jsut a checkpoint!

Hm... something really weird.

YinHoNg 16:51 31 Jul 05

Its been a few hours of use now and my computer has been working fine. So i suggest, despite all those websites saying its ok, delete it. Go into your system32 folder, find the folder inetsrv and delete the whole folder. The program might have good intentions but i'm guessing its compatibility is just not very good.

Hope this helps anybody who's having the same problems.

If anyone needs any more help about this - you can send me an email....

woodchip 16:54 31 Jul 05

It sounds like a Spamer using your computer

YinHoNg 20:31 31 Jul 05

spamer?

Pooke 20:47 31 Jul 05

if it's in add/remove programs just uninstall it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…