Why is system running so hot?

Ben_uk 14:29 03 Apr 03

Approx 6 mths ago I replaced an AMD 700Mhz CPU with a 1.3Ghz one. I was sold an Akasa Heatsink+Fan for it, which I was told did NOT require any Thermal paste as the heat would "weld" it in place. Assuming that maybe it didn't "weld" properly could that be the reason for the excess heat (initially it ran at about 37c it now reaches 49c)is it possible to remove the Heatsink and apply some paste to improve cooling?
I've noticed that the area outside of the tower case over the PSU gets pretty warm, is that normal? It's fan is working (quietly)can that be changed?
The system doesn't have a case fan, would it be an idea to get one to help reduce overall heat, and if so any ideas on positioning one? Could I use the old CPU Fan?

I have had some freezes after using the DVD/CD ROM for long periods doing photo imaging work and am wondering if heat is the cause.

dawnyworld 14:35 03 Apr 03

i would use arctic silver paste between hs/chip also u may need to clean the heatsink incase of a build up of dust
my heatsink collects so much dust i have to clean it at least once a month

DieSse 14:59 03 Apr 03

It may be that the original heatsink had a thermal pad pre-applied' - did it? - and did you take the protective covering off the thermal pad before applying it?

Having said that, 49º is not particularly hot for an AMD processor - so perhaps there's nothing really wrong?

Yes PSUs can get quite warm, especially if they're overstressed (too low a capacity). You probably should have a minimum of 300W for your system - have you many drives - have you added other things to the tower recently?

A csae fan is a good idea - there is normally space for mounting a fan at the rear or front of the cabinet. 80mm case fans are a standard item, they're so cheap it's hardly worth recycling an old, small fan - but get one with ball bearing(s) if you get a new one.

Brian-336451 15:14 03 Apr 03

Mine (AMD Thunderbird 1.4GHz) runs a damn sight hotter than that and is as happy as a pig in pooh, not a bit of trouble in 18 months.

The temperature goes up with the amount of activity, and to some extent ambient conditions.

Relax, and don't bother to look at it, by the way, I didn't use paste either, I just whopped the heatsink on in accordance with the instructions.

You chill, the processor's fine.

Rtus 16:46 03 Apr 03

Amd 1800 With recomended Amd heatsink ran at 43c It now runs at 31c & 33c When pushed ..using a Volcano 9 "silent" its noisier than the original and looks like a house brick mounted on a finger nail..But to be honest the noise dont bother me its the cooling Im after.Having said that giving some thought to the Ide cable layout can vastly improove the cooling of the Cpu and sys temps.as does adapting one of the drive bays to vents..

Ben_uk 01:02 04 Apr 03

DieSse: Nice to know that my AMD Toaster is just doing it's job within normal limits powering my upgraded MultiVision system - with your help, I replaced HDD with a faster 7200rpm jobbie, and upped & replaced the SD-RAM with one stick of 512MB last year.I think I'll change one of the new round Ide cables back to a flat one as it was a bit of a con (just a flat IDE cable bunched up in a pretty large and too long plastic tube)and at best it ends up circling the intake of the PSU which probably isn't helping. The PSU is 300W, there's just the usual DVD/CD ROM and CD-RW & floppy drives, a 32MB Prophet Graphics Card, and modem with several empty PCI slots and RAM slots. As they are so cheap I'll add a case fan if only to help prolong the life of my system. Thanks again.

dcarr 02:02 04 Apr 03

I'm wondering if this is a really strange coincidence, but Ben_uk, you wouln't be Ben from the HP Photoshop Class would you?
DCarr

DieSse 02:28 04 Apr 03

By email -

"Forgot to add in my reply that one of the reasons I thought the Akasa HeatSink was iffy, was because there wasn't a thermal pad, just a flimsy strip of thin tape over about the middle third of the bottom of the sink that wasn't sticky (in fact it fell off on removing HS from box), when I queried this with the shop I was told it was just protective covering and paste wasn't needed the HS weld itself to the CPU as it got hot."

Both major processor manufacturers state quite categorically that you must use thermal transfer material between the processor and heat sink. It's on their web sites in the guides for how to install processors.

The comment about "welding" is total rubbish - a seconds thought will tell you that temperatures around 40-60ºC will in no way "weld" anything. Even though your temperatures do not show as particularly high, I would strongly recommend you refit the processor with a good thermal paste - apply very sparingly, it only needs a very very thin coating to fill in the surface imperfections. Too much is bad.

Dave123 08:12 04 Apr 03

I have a 800MHz AMD and notoced it was running at around 65C. I remembered that when it was under gaurantee I took it back as there was a noisy fan somewhere. The shop did change the CPU fan, as well as one or two others. I recently bought a new bigger heat sink/fan. Taking off the old heat sink/fan I found that was very little paste. With the new bigger heat sink/fan fitted the CPU runs at 35C, quite a reduction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…