why is is so sloooooooooow...

freefx 15:59 12 Mar 05

o/s Windows XP Pro AM XP600+

Either i double click(in explorer) a file(mp3,pdf,vob,etc), it takes ages (2-3 minutes) for the relevant applications program to come on. Also if i right click a file, it takes ages for the hour glass to first disappear, and then the file is hightlighted, then i have to right click the second time for the context menu to come on.

Right click icons on the desktop present no problem.....

Does anyone know about this 'phenomenon'?,,,,,,it is really annoying and frustrating.......

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this matter.....

freefx 16:02 12 Mar 05

o/s Windows XP PRO AMD XP2600+

mattyc_92 16:07 12 Mar 05

When was the last time you defraged your drive??

freefx 17:29 12 Mar 05

I defrag my disk regularly.last time was about 10 days ago.......i know that is the the cause of the problem.......just check disk and i do not have to defrag it..

This time it seemed to happened after i installed McAfee Internet Security 6.0. I have now taken McAfee off but the problem still there

But this had happened before and i just reinstalled windows......

mattyc_92 17:32 12 Mar 05

Any other changes to your system lately??? e.g new software, new hardware, etc...

Also, have you scaned for viruses, spyware, adware, corrupt registry entries, etc...??

freefx 17:38 12 Mar 05

Only installed McAfee as i said ealier.......another thing i just remember is that if i disabled my network connection, everything is fine then..ie disable my Local Area Connection..... It was all this time until this morning??????

mattyc_92 17:41 12 Mar 05

If you are only expirencing this problem when you have an open internet connection/network connection, then this makes be think of the viruses, spyware, etc group...

Have you done a scan as I asked if you did in my previous post?

freefx 17:43 12 Mar 05

mattyc_92

No i have not scan my pc yet but i will do now and report back

mattyc_92 18:01 12 Mar 05

OK....

User-312386 18:30 12 Mar 05

It's McAfee Internet Security 6.0.

I personally do not like Norton or McAfee

They are intrusive and slow the system down

Get rid of it and use Zone Alarm and AVG

Sorry but thats my only say in this matter as it beggars belief the amount of people that come to me with PC problems due Norton or McAfee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…