Why so many software packafes for recording cd/dvd

SANAP 20:02 16 Apr 07

I must admit I am stumped. Back in 1999/2000 I had win98se and used NERO 5 and ROXIO EASY CD CREATOR 5. I then took a break, my win98se pc broke so I got xp pro. Now I want to record cd's from pc and to pc BUT to say I am totally bamboozled is an understatement. There is still NERO 7 version now, AND Roxio is on version 9. I also understand that Windows media palyer will copy cds and have come across clone cd as well.

What the heck do I need and why??

sanap

skidzy 20:12 16 Apr 07

Windows Media player will do you ask but dvd's as windows cannot write to dvd,this is where the software comes in.
Though most use a cd burning suite such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic the list goes on.

You have Nero and windows,this is all you need.

Unless you do not like Nero of course.

MAJ 20:13 16 Apr 07

Yeah there are loads of applications out there now to burn to CD and DVD, SANAP. There are a few good freebies as well. CDBurnerXP for example. click here What is it you want to do exactly?

skidzy 20:14 16 Apr 07

Sorry Sanap,some of my post missing for some reason.

Should read:

Windows Media player will do as you ask but not dvd's as windows cannot write to dvd,this is where the software comes in.

SANAP 20:23 16 Apr 07

that was quick. I have loads of cds tapes lps. I used to have lots of music on last pc. I now want to d/l using limewire, not a lot mind you, then make my own cds, also copy original cds to pc amd then make a copy of that cd or mix tracks. Also want to copy tapes and lps to pc and then make cds. I am assuming that my old software will not work in new pc with xp pro. I have a cd/dvd writer installed.

My next bit was to d/l a movie copy it to dvd and then play it to tv but my technics system will only play pucker stuff. I am moving this year and was thinking of getting a play anything dvd player. All this is a hobby and I have a bit more free time again.

sanap

SANAP 20:24 16 Apr 07

Ooopd lps = VINYL RECORDS

sanap

skidzy 20:26 16 Apr 07

First advice...be careful of Limewire ! or should i say how you use the program.

If you plan on copying lp's you may need something like click here

MAJ 20:32 16 Apr 07

Obviously, giving advice about downloading copyright material is against forum rules, SANAP, so we can't do that, but if you wanted to backup your own CDs and do a little mixing, there are a load of threads on the subject in the forum, try the search facility for those. By the same token there are also many threads on burning video to DVD, depending on which format the video is saved in.

Wak 20:56 16 Apr 07

for audio tapes and LPs click here

SANAP 21:08 16 Apr 07

thanks all, i will watch limewire, i only d/l the odd song and i have clicked the bit about copyright, I got the answers I need from you all and it was the bit on formats that was really stumping me as well eg divx. wma etc. Will do a bit more reading and look at the links.

Am I right in assuming my old soaftware packs are no good? 6 years, cant believe it.

sanap

skidzy 21:23 16 Apr 07

They will probably run ok Sanap,but with all the updates to these apps...its hardly worth it.
Technology Hey :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…