Why so many (redundant?) Temporary Internet Files?

Nosmas 20:58 11 Nov 03

My system is running W98, IE v6.0 and OE v6.0. Both IE and OE were upgraded from v5.0 some months ago. I have recently deleted the Temporary Internet Files (via IE Tools > Options > General tab), but there still seem to be a large number of files in the various folders (path C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\…..). There are currently 24 folders with curious names comprising strings of letters and numbers.

Even after the deletion run there are still in excess of 40,000 files contained within these 24 folders. Many of them are well over a year old and some more than three years old, although I suppose the dates are when the files were created from whence they came, rather than the dates the were placed on my HDD. Why does the deletion run fail to delete so many files? Also many of the remaining files are shown as type Audio CD size 0KB. None of these has a name and the name field of Windows Explorer just shows a number enclosed in square brackets. Clicking on the Audio CD files fires up CD Player but of course there is no sound to play. There are also a great number of very small '.gif ' files which from inspection seem to be fragments of various web pages I have viewed.

If these files are only TEMPORARY please can anyone explain why they are not automatically deleted and if there is any way I can ENSURE their automatic deletion? Could the audio files be anything to do with streamed radio (e.g. Saga Digital Radio) channels I frequently listen to?

If I need to delete some of these files manually is there any 'quick' method I can use to avoid having to manually trawl through each of the folders and select those to be deleted?

Gongoozler 21:20 11 Nov 03

Hi Nosmas. I can't tell you why, I always just accept them as one of the ideosyncrasies of Windows. What I do, though, is to limit the amount of rubbish that is stored via Tools - Internet Options - General - Settings, then I set the "Amount of disk space to use" to be 40MB on my 40G drive. If the hard drive was smaller, I would again set the space used to be about 0.1% of the drive capacity.

Gongoozler 21:22 11 Nov 03

People who use long words should use spelling checker. ideosyncrasies = idiosyncrasies.

britto 21:31 11 Nov 03

internet explorer /tools/options/advanced scroll down to security and tick the box for empty temporary file folder when browser is closed. dosn't clear every thing but most and dosn't appear to affect my comp.

VoG II 21:35 11 Nov 03

click here

If you want to keep cookies, be sure to save them using the wizard in File/Import and Export in Internet Explorer.

Border View 21:48 11 Nov 03

Yea but, I frequently empty my temporary internet files. But when I do an AVG anti virus check the temporary internet files seem to go on forever. Have they been deleted? If they have, how come my AVG keeps checking them. Think this is linked to the question above.

Nosmas 23:46 11 Nov 03

Thanks to all for your responses and to VoG for the link which looks interesting.

However can anyone answer my first question 'Why does the deletion run fail to delete so many files?' And now another question - How does the deletion program decide which files to delete and which to leave?

Also would it cause any problems if I manually deleted the Audio CD files (even those that are not empty) and / or the '.gif' files?

Nosmas 01:42 12 Nov 03

Bump

Any help from the morning shift please?

Andsome 08:24 12 Nov 03

My computer is set to store only 10Mb of cookies.

Jester2K II 08:30 12 Nov 03

Why? Who knows - its another Windows thing.

How? It deletes the oldest first.

Solution? Close IE and delete the folders yourself (try and do a bit at a time not all in one go) or use software like Supercleaner click here to clean up...

Gongoozler 08:30 12 Nov 03

Hi Nosmas. This site gives some of the answers click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…