why so many pop-ups???

Gem 20:23 26 Feb 04

Okay, I don't realy know anything about computers (don't know how often I've said that before). Anyway, I only really use my coputer for sending emails to family + friends, and for researching stuff on the Internet. About a week ago my computer started to 'behave' rather badly. It keeps making these noises (as if it's 'looking for something'), which last for ages, pages don't load, and I get hundreds of pop-ups. I've never had anything like this before. I've got Norton AntiVirus, so I'm hoping I don't have a virus. Is there anything I can do to stop all these pop-ups? And why would my computer all of a sudden be so slow???
Thanks for any help!!! :o)

Jester2K 20:27 26 Feb 04

What programs have you installed recently?

Taw® 20:30 26 Feb 04

there are pop up stoppers if you seach on google. The google seachbar also has a built in pop up stopper. It sounds as if you may also have adware loaded on so its worht while checking out adaware6 spybot search and destroy spygaurd and cool shredder. When this gets bumped I've no doubt someone will supply the addresses for all the above.

Gem 20:50 26 Feb 04

Hi Jester2K. As far as I know I haven't installed any programmes lately. My son, however, accidentally installed another clock of some sort (can't remember what it was called), but I think I've uninstalled it again successfully. I think the problems started before than though (or did they...). I can't remember. Anyway, he'd done it once before and it didn't cause any problems then (about a year ago).

Hi Taw. I'll check out those pop up stoppers on Google. When you are talking about adware..., is that something somebody else could have somehow put on my computer (hacking?)? You see... I'm a total novice in all this.

I hope you haven't fallen off your chair laughing yet! :o)

Jester2K 20:52 26 Feb 04

"accidentally installed another clock of some sort "

might have come packed with Adware

Try running

Adaware - click here

SpyBot - click here

Update and scan

Gem 21:08 26 Feb 04

Hi again Jester2K. Just visited the websites you mentioned. I know this is going to sound really stupid (and I hate myself for asking this), but would you suggest to download the free ad-aware standard edition, and the Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.2?

Thanks from a very silly feeling female. (Oh, the clock was an american atomic clock.)

JIM 21:12 26 Feb 04

iam sure Jester2K would say yes to that i know i would.Come back after installing software if no to sure how to use it.

Jester2K 21:16 26 Feb 04

free ad-aware standard edition - Yes click here

SpyBot 1.2 click here

Tip - when you update SpyBot - scan for updates but then pick Australia from the list of servers and then download updates. Don't use the default server - it'll probably be very busy....

Peverelli 21:25 26 Feb 04

Can't remember the name of it, but my nephew downloaded an atomic clock some time ago. It was loaded with spy/adware and his PC had slowed down considerably. After I removed the clock program and then installed and ran AdAware (which duly quarantined over 600 items), his PC was back to full speed.

Indigo 1 21:28 26 Feb 04

Blimey 600 items phewww !

I doubt you got that lot from one download.

Good that you picked them up though.

Peverelli 21:30 26 Feb 04

He also had the infamous Kaz*a installed!!

'Nuff said?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…