Why is Sky picture bad on tv card

salanddaz5 21:10 29 Oct 03

I have a Winfast TV2000 XP tv card on my pc. I've tried to run a cable from the back of a Grundig Sky Digibox to the back of the tv card. The cable goes from the 2nd television port on the digibox. Once tuned in the normal tv stations BBC and ITV are perfect but sky is all fussy. Any idea's on how to over come this. My pc details follow.

Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz
512MB PC2700 DDR Ram
120GB 7200RPM HD
Ge Force FX 5200 128MB TV Out DVI
Pioneer 106 DVD-r
Samsung 52X cd-r
Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live
Winfast TV2000 XP TV Card
Windows XP SP1

Also I've seen an LCD tv that has PC capabilities will I be able to connect this to a s-video and get the picture off that or any other way.

keenan 21:37 29 Oct 03

RF Outlet power supply is it Switched ON?

Using your SKY remote control:-

Press- 4 (System setup)
Press- SELECT (Screen now shows ?Picture settings)
Press ? 0-1-SELECT(Screen now shows-Installer set-up)
Press- 4 (RF OUTLETS)
Press- SELECT (Screen shows-RF Outlet Power supply -OFF)
Use cursor keys- ( LEFT/RIGHT)to select ? ON
Use cursor keys- (UP/DOWN) to ?SAVE NEW SETTINGS
Now press-BACK UP key (three times) to return to SKY.

What doesn't help too much is that the Digibox comes with its RF output set to Channel 68, which gives the highest coaxial cable signal losses of any available channel!

Press the 'Services' button on the Sky handset
Press 4 for 'System Setup'
Now press buttons '0' then '1' in quick sequence followed by the 'Select' button on the handset
The hidden 'services menu' is now revealed!
To change the RF channel assignment choose '4' for 'RF Outlets'
The first line of this 'RF Outlet' menu changes the RF channel
Change the number to the required channel (must be a number between 21 and 68) by keying in a number
Save the changes by using the arrow down key on the handset to highlight the 'Save New Settings' Menu
Press 'Select' and then repeat press the 'Backup' button to get out of the menus

salanddaz5 21:48 29 Oct 03

it wasn't switched on, now i've switched it on will this work do you think. The picture just had interference on it and

i should also add, change the rf outlet number between 21 and 68 until you find a suitable picture

DieSse 00:01 30 Oct 03

Do not switch on the power to the RF outlet you are using. Putting 9V down the aerial lead to your TV will not improve the signal, and your TV might not like it!

DieSse 00:04 30 Oct 03

Whilst I beleive [email protected] has the answer you need - it's not an easy procedure. Each time you change the channel number on the Sky box (output frequency) - you then have to retune the remote TV. If you can, make it easier by bringing the remote TV into the same room whilst setting it up.

salanddaz5 00:31 30 Oct 03

thanks for all your help i'll try it when i get back from work 2 moro and get back to you

BRYNIT 00:36 30 Oct 03

If you have used Keenan's advice and switched the RF power out switch to ON, switch it OFF again as this sends 9V current along the cable and is designed for the Sky TV link only. It will not improve the picture quality but could cause problems with your TV card.

As per [email protected] it could be the RF channel that your Digi box is set at, but B4 you change the Digi box settings I would suggest you check the cable as this can cause problems if it has not been made correctly.

If you take a cable direct from the Arial to your TV card. If the picture is clear this will show the problem is not with the cable.

If you then connect your Digi box to your TV card using the RF 1 out put this is usually connected to your video or TV. If the picture quality is OK it could be the RF 2 connection on your Digi box that is at fault. If the picture quality is still poor the RF setting of your Digi box is usually the problem and it will need to be changed. You will need patients as you will need to find is setting not being used by a TV channel or your video recorder you will also need to tune Sky into your Video again.

DieSse 00:40 30 Oct 03

"... suggest you check the cable as this can cause problems if it has not been made correctly."

It won't be the cable, as your BBC/ITV pictures are coming along it just fine, as you say.

salanddaz5 22:54 31 Oct 03

hey all, I've tried the rf power solution put the picture didn't improve. The pictures are ok about 7/10 rating wise but there is still an interference on each channel Sky more than the others. What can it be? The picture is watchable but still not the quality i'd expect and I want to put the results on dvd and the quality is not up to standard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…